Perceptions about the cause of schizophrenia and the subsequent help seeking behavior in a Pakistani population -- results of a cross-sectional survey
- Birth season and schizophrenia. // British Medical Journal;3/4/78, Vol. 1 Issue 6112, p527
Examines the association of birth season with schizophrenia in European countries. Etiology of schizophrenia; Tendency of schizophrenics to be born after hot summers; Statistics on peak of schizophrenic births in the cold months.
- Schizophrenia genetics: new insights from new approaches. Williams, Hywel J.; Owen, Michael J.; O'Donovan, Michael C. // British Medical Bulletin;Sep2009, Vol. 91 Issue 1, p61
Introduction: Schizophrenia is a debilitating psychiatric disorder that imposes a considerable burden on sufferers, their families and society. The prominent involvement of genes, combined with the complexity and relative inaccessibility of the brain has led many to suggest that the...
- Schizophrenia in the Afro-Caribbean Community. Sugarman, Philip A.; Craufurd, David // British Journal of Psychiatry;Apr94, Vol. 164, p474
Previous studies have shown high rates of schizophrenia among the Afro-Caribbean population in Britain. In order to assess the role of genetic factors in the aetiology of this phenomenon, we have used a standardised family history method (FHRDC) to compare lifetime morbidity risks for...
- Dimensional Approaches to Understanding and Treating Psychosis. Krueger, Robert F.; MacDonald III, Angus W. // Psychiatric Annals;Jan2005, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p31
Discusses the dimensional approaches to treating schizophrenia. Dimensions of schizophrenia; Comparison of dimensional approaches and categorical approaches; Mechanisms of psychosis; Etiology of psychosis; Clinical advantages of conceptualizing psychosis dimensionally
- Supernatural beliefs, aetiological models and help seeking behaviour in patients with schizophrenia. Kate, Natasha; Grover, Sandeep; Kulhara, Parmanand; Nehra, Ritu // Industrial Psychiatry Journal;Jan-Jun2012, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p49
Background: Few studies have evaluated the supernatural beliefs of patients with schizophrenia. This study aimed to study the personal beliefs, aetiological models and help seeking behaviour of patients with schizophrenia using a self-rated questionnaire. Materials and Methods: Seventy three...
- Genome-wide association study of bipolar disorder in Canadian and UK populations corroborates disease loci including SYNE1 and CSMD1. Wei Xu; Cohen-Woods, Sarah; Qian Chen; Noor, Abdul; Knight, Jo; Hosang, Georgina; Parikh, Sagar V.; De Luca, Vincenzo; Tozzi, Federica; Muglia, Pierandrea; Forte, Julia; McQuillin, Andrew; Pingzhao Hu; Gurling, Hugh M. D.; Kennedy, James L.; McGuffin, Peter; Farmer, Anne; Strauss, John; Vincent, John B. // BMC Medical Genetics;2014, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p1
Background Recently, genome-wide association studies (GWAS) for cases versus controls using single nucleotide polymorphism microarray data have shown promising findings for complex neuropsychiatric disorders, including bipolar disorder (BD). Methods Here we describe a comprehensive genome-wide...
- The etiology of schizophrenia as perceived by psychiatrists in Europe and the United States. Sanua, Victor D. // Current Psychology;Winter90/Winter91, Vol. 9 Issue 4, p355
Compares statements made by American and European psychiatrists on the etiology of schizophrenia. Prevalence of belief for the physiogenic causes of the disease among American psychiatrists; Divisiveness of European psychiatrists in believing in the organic and psychodynamic explanations of the...
- Genetic Insights into Schizophrenia. Bassett, Anne S // Canadian Journal of Psychiatry;Mar2001, Vol. 46 Issue 2, p131
Key words: genetics, schizophrenia, linkage, 22q deletion syndrome, psychiatric genetics
- Why schizophrenics find it's all too much. Spinney, Laura // New Scientist;4/15/95, Vol. 146 Issue 1973, p15
Reports on Canadian researchers' discovery of the biological cause of the sensory overload which results in delusions and hallucinations which plague people with schizophrenia. Schizophrenics' lack of the PSA-NCAM protein, a chemically modified form of Neural Cell Adhesion Molecule (NCAM);...