Fancy Footwork for References
- Checking in on reference checking. Maas, Stephen // Plant Engineering;Mar2000, Vol. 54 Issue 3, p10
Provides insights on the use of liability release as a method of coaxing out sensitive information about employees. Consideration for the applicant if the scenario is treated as a contract; Offense for a professional if any company tried to make signing something such as a condition or anything.
- Finessing The Facts. Davies, Kent R. // Dealernews;Nov2003, Vol. 39 Issue 11, p42
The article discusses ways to check job references in order to avoid frustrating results in the workplace in the U.S. Issue that needs to be dealt with before facing applicants; Need for the focus to be directed on the applicant; Calls to be made; Factors that need to be checked.
- On PM's Linkedln group. // People Management;Jul2012, p17
The article provides an answer to a question about job applicants' use of employment references.
- How to handle a bad reference. Corcoran, Barbara // Redbook;Sep2009, Vol. 213 Issue 3, p100
The article offers an answer to a question on whether one should list an unfriendly boss as a reference for a job application.
- How to check job applicants' references the legal way. // HR Weekly;11/3/2014, Vol. 2 Issue 44, p3
The article discusses tips on how to assess legally the references of job applicants.
- Reference checking: Keep it legal. // Manager's Legal Bulletin;12/1/2014, Vol. 28 Issue 23, p1
The article offers tips for job applicants on how to properly screen the right information for professional references during job qualifications includes professional data and personal data of its personal reference.
- Making the most of references. // Career World;Jan1999, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p2
Provides tips on making the most out of references in relation to job applications. Calling people to ask if they can be included in the list of references; Importance of accuracy in names, addresses, job titles and work phone numbers; Listing of people from school, work and the community and...
- A HARD LOOK AT THE REFERENCE CHECK. Nash, Allan N.; Carroll Jr., Stephen J. // Business Horizons;Oct70, Vol. 13 Issue 5, p43
How valuable is the widely used reference check in predicting performance on the new job? A number of studies indicate that the value is modest at best. Previous employers may fail to respond to a reference request or be reluctant to return negative statements. A prospective employer can improve...
- Too good to be true. Chalmers, Sophie // Director;Apr2000, Vol. 53 Issue 9, p21
Cautions against giving misleading employee references. Penalties that face employers; Consequences of giving misleading impression in a reference; How employers can protect themselves from mistakes in references.