Caution: Children at Work
- Ethics in international business: multinational approaches to child labor. Kolk, Ans; Van Tulder, Rob // Journal of World Business;Feb2004, Vol. 39 Issue 1, p49
How do multinationals address conflicting norms and expectations? This article focuses on corporate codes of ethics in the area of child labor as possible expressions of Strategic International Human Resource Management. It analyses whether 50 leading multinationals adopt universal ethical norms...
- HR Staff Charged in Child Labor Violations. Leonard, Bill // HR Magazine;Nov2008, Vol. 53 Issue 11, p24
The article reports on the criminal charges filed against the owner and three human resource managers of the nation's largest kosher meatpacking plant in Postville, Iowa, for more than 9,000 violations of the state's child labor laws. The charges stem from an investigation launched by the Iowa...
- INTERNATIONAL NEWS. // People Management;11/25/2004, Vol. 10 Issue 23, p10
This section offers news briefs on personnel management as of November 2004. Politicians in Germany are discussing a bill that will regulate how far employers are allowed to use genetic testing to decide if a person is fit for a job. Australian hotel owners in Scotland opt to hire workers from...
- Do I Fire the Bottom 10% Just Because Jack Did? Fisher, Anne // Fortune;9/2/2002, Vol. 146 Issue 4, p210
Answers reader questions about employment. Pros and cons of employee ranking systems that focus on firing the bottom ten percent; Recommendation for three rï¿½sumï¿½-distribution companies, ResumeZapper.com, ResumExpress.com and ResumeAgent.com; Advice for a 14-year-old who wants to quit...
- Briefs. // HRMagazine;Feb2009, Vol. 54 Issue 2, p14
This section offers news briefs concerning personnel management in the U.S. Democrats in the House of Representatives passed the Ledbetter Fair Pay Act and the Paycheck Fairness Act on January 9, 2009. Officials are requesting information about efforts to eliminate the worst forms of child labor...
- Raising the Curtain on a Minor Hiring Issue. Miklave, Matthew T.; Trafimow, A. Jonathan // Workforce (10928332);Jun2003, Vol. 82 Issue 6, p108
Answers several questions on personnel management. Law on hiring minors; Guidance on claiming wages from jail; Permission for sabbatical leave. INSETS: Legally Blind Employee Has ADA Claim;Failure to Use Employer's Complaint Procedure Dooms Claim.
- Emergency Contacts, FMLA Leave, Teenage Employees. St. Martin, Anne; Maingault, Amy; Neal, Vicki // HR Magazine;Jul2005, Vol. 50 Issue 7, p41
Answers several questions on human resources management. Recommendations for an employer's policy on emergency contact information; Regulations for employers in initiating a Family and Medical Leave Act leave to an employee; Factors to consider when hiring a minor.
- Expert answers to your farm staff questions. Barnes, Adrian; Cousins, David // Farmers Weekly;10/17/2003, Vol. 139 Issue 16, p75
Answers questions related to managing farm staff. Approach to dealing with a worker who refused to sign a labor contract; Rules to consider on employing workers who are underage; Legal rights of an employee to a one week's notice for every complete year of service.
- Does Unemployment Help or Hinder Becoming Independent? The Role of Employment Status for Leaving the Parental Home. Jacob, Marita; Kleinert, Corinna // European Sociological Review;Apr2008, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p141
Two broad trends in industrialized countries motivate this article: on the one hand, the life phase between youth and adulthood has prolonged and diversified; on the other hand, entering the labour market has become more complex and insecure. The article combines two aspects of these trends by...