Resources for Starting the Conversation
- Growing Parental Economic Power in Parent-Adult Child Households: Coresidence and Financial Dependency in the United States, 1960-2010. Kahn, Joan; Goldscheider, Frances; García-Manglano, Javier // Demography;Aug2013, Vol. 50 Issue 4, p1449
Research on coresidence between parents and their adult children in the United States has challenged the myth that elders are the primary beneficiaries, instead showing that intergenerationally extended households generally benefit the younger generation more than their parents. Nevertheless,...
- 7 Tips for Communicating With Aging Parents. // Guideposts;Sep2016, Vol. 71 Issue 7, p46
The article offers tips on communicating with aging parents on sensitive issues from University of Arizona professor Jake Harwood. Harwood suggests not to reach a conclusion based on a single incident and gather information before making a decision. He says that communicating peer-to-peer can...
- Children who earn more less likely to help parents financially: Study. // Jet;04/06/98, Vol. 93 Issue 19, p38
Mentions a study by the Lutheran Brotherhood insurance organization indicating that adult children who earn less than $20,000 are more likely to help out their parents financially than those earning higher salaries.
- Virtual Money Won't Fund Secure Retirement. // National Underwriter / Property & Casualty Risk & Benefits Manag;05/03/99, Vol. 103 Issue 18, p28
Urges United States President Bill Clinton to respond to the problems faced by the baby boom generation. Issue on USA Accounts, an entitlement program aimed at retirement security; Why Clinton's proposal on USA Accounts should be rejected; Failure of the administration to propose any effective...
- A baby boomer boom. Kirchheimer, Barbara // Modern Healthcare;01/15/2001, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p28
Reports on the increase in volume of baby boomers at Tenet Healthcare Corporation's hospitals during the six-month period ended November 30, 2000. Efforts done by hospitals in dealing with baby boomers' medical problems; Types of services offered hospitals.
- Access to Lifestyle Services. // CPA Wealth Provider;Oct2008, p6
The article reviews the web site www.MyRetirementShop.com from AXA Equitable Life Insurance Co.
- Online Help for Retirees. // Practical Accountant;Jun2008, Vol. 41 Issue 6, p12
The article reviews the web site retirementworks2.com from RetirementWORKS.
- Retirement Scan. // Bank Investment Consultant;Oct2014, Vol. 22 Issue 8, p4
The article suggests bankers visiting a website located at "www.bit.ly/luQOwwB" that features several retirement plans, which can be used by bankers to help their clients.
- Public plan data website gets makeover. KILROY, MEAGHAN // Pensions & Investments;5/4/2015, Vol. 43 Issue 9, p8
The article offers information on the upgraded website, located at publicplansdata.org, launched by the Center for State and Local Government Excellence, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College, and National Association of Retirement Administrators in April 2015.