The Man Who Beat the Shorts
- Fairfax Financial facing suit alleging securities fraud. McLeod, Douglas // Business Insurance;4/17/2006, Vol. 40 Issue 16, p3
The article reports on a class action lawsuit filed against Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. before the U.S. District Court in New York over alleged securities fraud. The lawsuit named the company's chairman and CEO V. Prem Watsa and other executives for their failure to disclose reserve...
- Hometown Helper. ross, Dan // Newsweek Global;9/27/2013, Vol. 161 Issue 34, p1
The article looks at the September 2013 offer by Canadian insurance and investment firm Fairfax Holdings to purchase mobile device company Blackberry for 4.7 billion dollars. It is noted that Blackberry had suffered economic losses and stock price declines due to competition from smartphone...
- Billionaire king of lost causes to rescue Blackberry. // South Asian Post;10/3/2013, p20
The article informs that Prem Watsa, chairman and chief executive of Toronto, Canada-based Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. has acquired phone maker Blackberry Ltd. for 4.7 billion U.S. dollars.
- Fairfax's Wasta Receives Award. // Property & Casualty 360;Feb2016, Vol. 120 Issue 2, p15
The article announces that Prem Watsa, chairman and Chief executive officer (CEO) of insurance firm Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd., has received the 2015 Insurance Leader of the Year at New York's Marriot Marquis, from St. John's University's School of Risk Management.
- Prem Watsa's Fairfax to Buy BlackBerry for $4.7 Billion. GILLIES, ROB // India -- West;9/27/2013, Vol. 38 Issue 45, pB4
The article reports that Prem Watsa, chief executive officer of Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd., is buying the mobile phone manufacturing firm Research In Motion Ltd. for 4.7 billion dollars and shareholder will receive nine dollars in cash for each share as on September 12, 2013.
- BLACKBERRY'S WHITE KNIGHT. BALASUBRAMANYAM, K. R.; ADHIKARI, ANAND // Business Today;10/27/2013, Vol. 22 Issue 22, preceding p34
The article presents information on Prem Watsa, chief executive officer (CEO) of Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd., a finance company, who has opted to buy smartphone maker Research In Motion Ltd. It informs that Watsa began his career at Confederation Life Insurance Co. in Toronto, Canada and...
- Prem Watsa's Fairfax to sell shares in fund for investments in India. // FRPT- Finance Snapshot;11/30/2014, p18
The article reports that Toronto, Ontario-based Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. will sell shares in Fairfax India Holdings Corp., a company focused on investments in India. Fairfax Financial founder, chairman and chief executive Prem Watsa says that they are excited to launch a company focused...
- Indian born prem Watsa gulps Blackberry. // Siliconindia;Oct2013, p10
The article reports on the $4.7 billion contract signed by Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. financial services chief executive officer Prem Watsa for Blackberry acquisition.
- THE INSIDE STORY OF A WALL STREET BATTLE ROYAL. McClean, Bethany; Burke, Doris; Neering, Patricia // Fortune;3/19/2007, Vol. 155 Issue 5, p74
This article presents information about the lawsuit filed by Fairfax Financial Holdings against a group of hedge funds alleging a stock market manipulation scheme in which funds sold Fairfax's shares short, got analysts to write negative research reports, and made millions. Some feel that...