The Impact of Corruption on Economic Growth: Does Government Matter?
- US has no patent on scandal. Schorr, Daniel // Christian Science Monitor;4/16/99, Vol. 91 Issue 98, p11
Comments on scandals and their occurrence around the world. Countries such as Sweden, Israel, France, Poland, and Russia; Suggestion that United States President Bill Clinton's administration is no worse than that of other political leaders.
- Do Neoliberal Policies Deter Political Corruption? Gerring, John; Thacker, Strom C. // International Organization;Winter2005, Vol. 59 Issue 1, p233
This article probes the relationship between neoliberal economic policies and political corruption, focusing in particular on the impact of trade and investment policies, regulatory policy, and the overall size of the public sector on corruption. Using a large cross-national data set from the...
- Complexities of Corruption. Dexter, Lewis Anthony // Society;May/Jun93, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p63
This article discusses the difficulty of identifying the particular behavior that is regarded as corrupt. The notion of corruption implies that somebody with a responsible public obligation betrays or ignores the general responsibility in order to achieve some personal objective. Bribe takers...
- Boston's "Big Dig": A Socio-Historical and Political Analysis of Malfeasance and Official Deviance. Smith, Michael W. // National Social Science Journal;Jul2010, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p148
The article presents a study which analyzes the impact of the failure of government officials in Boston, Massachusetts to implement the recommendations of the Ward Commission and their encouragement of malfeasance and political corruption in the costly and sub-standard public works project. It...
- NETTING THE BIG FISH. Robinson, Simon // Time International (South Pacific Edition);2/19/2007, Issue 6, p8
The article discusses efforts by the Bangladesh government to reduce corruption among politicians. The country's interim government, which took power in January 2007 after allegations of electoral fraud, arrested at least 20 senior politicians in early 2007, a move that many cite as the first...
- Anti-Corruption Discourse and Institutional Change in Serbia: the Money in Cyprus Scandal. Zurnić, Marija // Filozofija i Drustvo;Jan2013, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p119
This paper focuses on the scandal that occurred in 2001 during the intensive investigation of the financial transfers from Serbia to Cyprus during the 1990s. The paper looks at the strategies employed by politicians, practitioners and civil servants to achieve their political agendas. The...
- GRAFT ELIMINATION. Butler, Ellis Parker // Saturday Evening Post;2/7/1931, Vol. 203 Issue 32, p92
Argues on graft in public office in the U.S. View on graft investigations.
- Political corruption in Italy. Newell, James L. // Global Journal on Crime & Criminal Law;2003, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p121
Discusses about political corruption in Italy. Definition of corruption-related terms; Categorization to describe the varieties of corruption; Causes of corruption; Impact of political corruption and its exposure.
- Big on morals, small on profits. Farrell, Liam // GP: General Practitioner;6/12/2009, p26
In this article the author discusses the picture of endemic corruption in Great Britain, including the current scandal about Member of Parliaments' (MPs) expenses. He notes that MPs and county councilors had been persistently greedy on the planning process and had been pocketing hand-outs from...