$1.5 billion of bonds proposed in Florida governor's budget
- Florida's Chiles to review budget incorporating $1.2 billion of bonds. Molis, Jim // Bond Buyer;04/23/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30378, p3
Reports on the assessment of a 1999 budget by Florida Governor Chiles Lawton which includes various kinds of bonds. Indications that he may use his line-item veto power to cut pork-barrel budgets; Uncertainty of whether the bonds will be rejected.
- Citing Unmet Needs, Fla. Governor Vetoes Budget. Diegmueller, Karen // Education Week;3/25/1992, Vol. 11 Issue 27, p25
The article reports that Florida's Governor Lawton Chiles vetoed the state budget for fiscal year 1993. One of Chiles' reasons is that the budget for education and other state services is inadequate with the needs. He also added that the budget for fiscal year 1993 disregards the vital needs of...
- Fla. kills bill to stop tobacco suits. Nelson-Morrill, Creston // National Underwriter / Property & Casualty Risk & Benefits Manag;3/25/96, Vol. 100 Issue 13, p6
States that the first ever round of the fight in the state legislature to override his veto came from Lawton Chiles, Florida Governor. Reason; Comments from both side.
- Lawton Chiles. Arrarte, A. // U.S. News & World Report;9/17/90, Vol. 109 Issue 11, p14
Profiles former three-term Senator Lawton Chiles who last week won the Democratic gubernatorial primary in Florida, setting the stage for what could be a bruising contest against Republican incumbent Bob Martinez. Low-key approach.
- Chiles speech focuses on children. Diegmueller, Karen // Education Week;2/16/94, Vol. 13 Issue 21, p16
Reports on Florida Governor Lawton Chiles's state of address devoted principally to enhance the lives, education and safety of children. `Safe schools' plan; Get-tough approach to dealing with juvenile offenders; 6.65 percent increase in education funding.
- No Florida shield law. // Quill;Jul/Aug93, Vol. 81 Issue 6, p11
Reports on the veto by Florida Governor Lawton Chiles of bills providing for the exemption of legislative documents from public scrutiny and allowing of confidentiality in journalist sources. `Tim Roche bill'; Prospects of a shield law in Florida.
- Senate Committee Asked To Increase Education Budget. // Education Week;3/7/1984, Vol. 3 Issue 24, p2
The article reports on the proposed increase of education budget by the administration of U.S. President Ronald Reagan in 1985 in the U.S. During the first hearing held by the Senate Budget Committee, the U.S. Secretary of Education Terrel H. Bell has stated the importance for the...
- LEGISLATIVE UPDATE. // Education Week;3/3/1993, Vol. 12 Issue 23, p24
The article presents summaries of the U.S. governors' budget requests for pre-collegiate education and highlights of proposals that rank high on the states' education agenda. Florida Governor Lawton Chiles is seeking to remove sales-tax exemptions on professional services to raise funds for...
- Florida legislature passes tort reform measure. // Business Insurance;05/04/98, Vol. 32 Issue 18, p1
States that Governor Lawton Chiles of Tallahassee, Florida have to decide whether to veto comprehensive tort reform legislation, passed by the state legislature. Information on the bill including its sponsor; Impact the bill will have on the practice of tort.