A model was sensitive but not specific for screening for tuberculosis in contact patients
- ABDOMINAL TUBERCULOSIS â€“ A DIAGNOSIS NOT TO MISS. Bhagat, Swati; Gupta, Ashish; Arnold, Jayantha // West London Medical Journal;Mar2012, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p13
The article presents a case study of a 61 year old Asian male with microcytic anemia and history of epigastric discomfort. The patient was diagnosed with abdominal tuberculosis after series of medical investigations. It mentions that the computed tomography (CT) result shows thickening of...
- A Diagnostic Accuracy Study of Xpert MTB/RIF in HIVPositive Patients with High Clinical Suspicion of Pulmonary Tuberculosis in Lima, Peru. Carriquiry, Gabriela; Otero, Larissa; González-Lagos, Elsa; Zamudio, Carlos; Sánchez, Eduardo; Nabeta, Pamela; Campos, Miguel; Echevarría, Juan; Seas, Carlos; Gotuzzo, Eduardo // PLoS ONE;Sep2012, Vol. 7 Issue 9, Special section p1
Background: Diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis (TB) among human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) patients remains complex and demands easy to perform and accurate tests. XpertÂ®MTB/RIF (MTB/RIF) is a molecular TB diagnostic test which is rapid and convenient; the test requires minimal human...
- Spectrum of latent tuberculosis – existing tests cannot resolve the underlying phenotypes: author's reply. Barry, 3rd, Clifton E.; Boshoff, Helena I.; Dartois, Véronique; Dick, Thomas; Ehrt, Sabine; Flynn, JoAnne; Schnappinger, Dirk; Wilkinson, Robert J.; Young, Douglas // Nature Reviews Microbiology;Mar2010, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p242
A response by C.E. Barry and colleagues to a review of their article "The Spectrum of Latent Tuberculosis: Rethinking the Biology and Intervention Strategies," in the 2009 issue is presented.
- Spectrum of latent tuberculosis – existing tests cannot resolve the underlying phenotypes. Pai, Madhukar // Nature Reviews Microbiology;Mar2010, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p242
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "The Spectrum of Latent Tuberculosis: Rethinking the Biology and Intervention Strategies," by C.E. Barry and colleagues in the 2009 issue.
- Blood assays outperform skin test in TB diagnosis. Foster, Melissa; Lawrence, Leah; Raible, Eric; Volansky, Rob // Infectious Disease News;Jun2010, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p25
The article discusses research on the use of Quantiferon-TB Gold In-Tube Assay and T-Spot.TB assay to diagnose tuberculosis (TB), by R. Diel and colleagues, published in the 2010 issue of "Chest."
- A sleeping giant. HUMPHRIES, COURTNEY // Nature;10/10/2013 Supplement, Vol. 502 Issue 7470, pS14
The article focuses on those populations which are infected with Mycobacterium tuberculosis, causative microbe of disease Tuberculosis, but does not develop active disease in their lifetime. It states that development of disease is only in 10 percent of people in the population infected by...
- Diagnosis: Waiting for results. de Lange, Catherine // Nature;10/10/2013 Supplement, Vol. 502 Issue 7470, pS10
The article discusses several new tests performed for detection of Tuberculosis (TB) and the risk factors of Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection with Mycobacterium tuberculosis to human immune system. It states that for detection of HIV there are tests which can be practically used in...
- Experiences in the implementation of provider-initiated counselling and testing and linkage to HIV services at urban public sector health facilities in KwaZulu-Natal. Phili, Rogerio; Karim, Quarraisha Abdool; Tlou, Boikhutso // Southern African Journal of Infectious Diseases;2015, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p77
Background: A provider-initiated counselling and testing (PICT) strategy replaced the voluntary counselling and testing (VCT) strategy with respect to the provision of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) counselling and testing (HCT) in KwaZulu-Natal province with the aim of increasing the uptake...
- Osteoarticular tuberculosis - diagnostic solutions in a disease endemic region. Agashe, Vikas; Shenai, Shubhada; Mohrir, Ganesh; Deshmukh, Minal; Bhaduri, Anita; Deshpande, Ramesh; Mehta, Ajita; Rodrigues, Camilla // Journal of Infection in Developing Countries;2009, Vol. 3 Issue 7, p511
Background: We conducted a study of osteoarticular tuberculosis in patients from private and public settings in a disease endemic area. Our objective was to assess the role of mycobacterial culture and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) in the diagnosis of osteoarticular tuberculosis (TB) in...