THE GENTLEMAN AND THE SOLDIER: PATRIOTIC MASCULINITIES IN EIGHTEENTH-CENTURY SCOTLAND
- Index. // Scottish Historical Review;Oct2008 Supplement 2, Vol. 87, p135
A subject index for the October 2, 2008 issue of the journal "Scottish Historical Review" is presented.
- Reconstructuring rural infanticide in eighteenth-century Scotland. Symonds, Deborah A. // Journal of Women's History;Summer98, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p63
Explores the dynamics of infanticide in 18th century Scotland. Factors that contributed to infanticide; Statute of Scotland on infanticide; Cases of infanticide in Scotland from 1690 to 1762.
- Eighteenth-Century Anticipations of the Sociology of Conflict: The Case of Adam Ferguson. Hill, Lisa // Journal of the History of Ideas;Apr2001, Vol. 62 Issue 2, p281
Focuses on the works of Adam Ferguson in the area of conflict theory. Significance of Ferguson's treatment of the role of conflict to sociology; Use of natural theology as an element of conflict theory; Consideration of classic civic humanist tradition for the theory; Contribution of...
- 'A Scottish Sack Ship in the Newfoundland Trade 1726-27'. Janzen, Olaf Uwe // Scottish Economic & Social History;1998, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p1
Focuses on the sack ship voyage undertaken by the Scottish ship Christian in 1726 from Newfoundland in Canada. Origin of the ship from Leith, the port community serving the Scottish city of Edinburgh; Determination of what compelled the men who freighted the ship to venture in an unfamiliar...
- SCOTLAND ANTHOLOGISED: IMAGES OF CONTEMPORARY SCOTTISH IDENTITY IN TRANSLATION ANTHOLOGIES OF SCOTTISH POETRY. Barnaby, Paul // Scottish Studies Review;Spring2002, Vol. 3 Issue 1, p86
Examines the translation anthology in Scotland in the 1900s. Relevance of translation anthology to the Scottish culture; Literary transfer between central cultures; Purpose of translated anthologies.
- A Hotbed of Genius (Book Review). Reid, W. Stanford // Canadian Journal of History;Apr88, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p121
Reviews the book 'A Hotbed of Genius: The Scottish Enlightenment, 1730-90,' edited by Peter Daiches, Peter Jones, and Jean Jones.
- General George Wade: Roadmaker in the Highlands. Brown, Raymond Lamont // History Today;Mar79, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p147
Features 18th century Scottish soldier and military road builder William Caulfield. Background on the division of Scotland; Information on the Disarming Act of 1717; Information on the construction of the Great Glen Road.
- Scotland, 1746. // Earthwatch: The Journal of Earthwatch Institute;Jan/Feb97, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p28
Provides information on volunteers' tasks in Earthwatch's expedition to Scotland to study the culture and society of the country during 1746. Digging, surveying and cataloguing of the sites; Background on the setting and logistics; Team leader for the expedition.
- Marx's Reading of Adam Ferguson and the Idea of Progress. Hill, Jack A. // Journal of Scottish Philosophy;Sep2013, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p167
Karl Marx misappropriated Ferguson's thought even though he championed the Scot's remarks on the division of labor. The argument is developed by examining Marx's specific quotations of Ferguson in literary context and by critiquing Marx's quotations in light of three ethical categories that are...