Fighting the Brown Bag
- Nominate Someone for a FAME Award. // Food Management;May2006, Vol. 41 Issue 5, p18
The article calls for nominations to the 2007 Foodservice Achievement Management Excellence Awards. Nominees must be school food service professionals or avid supporters of child nutrition who are members of the School Nutrition Association. The deadline for nominations will be on September 8, 2006.
- Beverly Girard MBA, MS, RD, SFHS. Lefebvre, Joanne // Food Management;May2006, Vol. 41 Issue 5, p42
The article profiles Beverly Girard, director of Food and Nutrition Services of Sarasota County Public Schools in Florida. Girard is a recipient of International Foodservice Manufacturers Association's 2006 Silver Plate Award for her commitment to training, as well as the future of child...
- Stealth Nutritionist. Weisberg, Karen // FoodService Director;2/15/2007, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p28
The article focuses the Unified Meal Plan (UMP) created by assistant foodservice director Tim Mertz for a high school in Henrico County in Richmond, Virginia. The program serves the needy population at schools without affecting paying students. He created the UMP to address the decline in sales...
- A Day in the Life of a Nutrition Services Director. Spinks, Beth // Food Management;May2010, Vol. 45 Issue 5, p10
The article provides an overview on how a day goes by for a Nutrition Services Director. It presents contents from a school food service director's day-planner notebook. Included in the list of activities contained in the planner are getting to work before the sun is up, overseeing and finding...
- Elaine Hunt. // Food Management;Feb2000, Vol. 35 Issue 2, p30
Profiles Elaine Hunt, senior director of Child Nutrition at Wake Country School District in Raleigh, North Carolina. Strategy for meeting the challenge of managing major growth while maintaining financial stability; Competent staff; Tight labor market; Proper training; Refine of customer input.
- Bright ideas to improve your business. Schuster, Karolyn // Food Management;Mar1999, Vol. 34 Issue 3, p36
Presents six proven strategies school food service directors (FSDs) can use to maximize use of their resources, develop their employees and streamline their organizations. Includes building relationships between foodservice staff and students; Encouraging employees' professional involvement...
- Runs Downtown Restaurant, Too: Knoxville, TN, Schools Feed Community Groups. Bond, Marian // FoodService Director;05/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 5, p50
Focuses on the food service management at the Knox County School District in Tennessee. How the district operates; Evening meals provided by the district; How the district runs a downtown restaurant; Menus offered in the restaurant.
- What to Know: ACAP mtg. explores campus cash-ops. // FoodService Director;01/15/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p14
Offers pieces of advice on designing or remodeling a campus foodservice facility. Primary considerations; Steps involved in developing the operation; Significance of customer relations to the success of the business; How to ensure faster services.
- `The key is to make gradual recipe changes'. Hirschfield, Jeff // FoodService Director;2/15/97 Supplement, Vol. 10, p9s
Reports on the application of gradual changes approach in changing recipes toward healthier foods for school food services in the United States. Enhancement of student-acceptance; Changes not recognized by students; Proposals for changing recipes; Promotion of vegetables by prepackaging for...