Fibrous Root System Development
- Choosing the right street tree is complex. Berney, Julia // Australian Horticulture;Oct2004, Vol. 102 Issue 10, p40
Suggests measures that city councils should consider in selecting street trees. Factors that influence the selection of street trees in cities; Significance of community feedback in the selection of street trees; Need for city councils to consider climate, urban design and public attitude in...
- ALTERAÃ‡Ã•ES NA ARQUITETURA TÃPICA DE Tipuana tipu (Benth.) O. Kuntze NA ARBORIZAÃ‡ÃƒO DE RUAS DE CURITIBA, PARANÃ. Bobrowski, Rogério; Marques de Lima Neto, Everaldo; Biondi, Daniela // CiÃªncia Florestal (01039954);sep2013, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p281
The urban structure and equipments can restrict the correct development of trees and its typical architecture. Tipuana tipu (Benth.) O. Kuntze (rosewood) has been pruned continuously for being a species of large size and for being the most planted tree in the city of Curitiba. Because of that,...
- When bad things happen to good trees. Stairs, Nancy // Landscape Management;May99, Vol. 38 Issue 5, p37
Offers some guidelines to help an urban landscape tree survive. Reason trees are planted in urban landscapes; Most common mistreatments affecting the average urban tree; Suggestions for helping a tree survive; Reason fill is a bad thing for most trees.
- THUMBS UP FOR NFU! // Forestry & British Timber;Jan2003, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p8
Reports that the National Urban Forestry Unit (NUFU) won awards for its urban forest initiative in Great Britain. Regional initiatives of NUFU; Role of trees and woods in the liveability of towns and cities; Aims of NUFU.
- Urban Tree Growth & Longevity. McPherson, E. Gregory; Scharenbroch, Bryant C. // Arboriculture & Urban Forestry;Nov2013, Vol. 39 Issue 6, p278
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including the origins of the Chicago, Illinois urban forest, selection approach for urban trees for inner-city environments and urban tree growth and longevity.
- Ohio first in nation for Tree City USA communities. // Farm & Dairy;5/15/2014, Vol. 100 Issue 34, pB22
The article reports that the state of Ohio has remained the country's leader in Tree City USA communities with tree planting programs, public parks landscaping, and urban forestry efforts resulting to cleaner air and water.
- Shady Dealings: Group worried that Fresno city officials don't value trees. Sullivan, Michael // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;4/11/2008, Issue 323846, p1
The article reports that the nonprofit Tree Fresno in Fresno, California teamed up with city planning officials to raise awareness about preserving Fresno's urban forest, tree-lined streets, parks and public spaces. Tree Fresno is a 23-year-old nonprofit devoted to planting and maintaining trees...
- Branching out. Schwab, James C. // Planning;Mar2009, Vol. 75 Issue 3, p10
The article discusses urban forestry programs involving the collaboration of planners and arborists or urban foresters. It discusses satellite imagery and aerial photography that illustrate canopy cover in urban settings and software like CITYgreen. It discusses the benefits of growing trees,...
- Acer. // NMPRO - Nursery Management & Production;Feb2005, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p4
Introduces the single-stem maple tree from Allentown, New Jersey-based Princeton Nurseries called Acer ginnala or Ruby Slippers. Mature height; Description of bark; Contrast of red seeds and green foliage; Fitness as a street tree because of its straight trunk.