When your supplier is in trouble
- Consumers in retail funk. Britt Beemer, C. // Chain Store Age;Feb96, Vol. 72 Issue 2, p40
Forecasts more bankruptcy filings in the retail trade in the United States for 1996. Long- and short-terms solutions; Biggest problems faced by retailers; Reticence of consumers about future spendings.
- Fourth Time's a Charm for Bankruptcy Bill. Ramey, Joanna // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;3/20/2003, Vol. 185 Issue 57, p3
Reports that the U.S. Congress has passed a bankruptcy reform legislation that would make it more difficult to entirely eradicate debt in bankruptcy court. Implications on retail trade; Challenges ahead; Opponents of the bill.
- Sometimes it's Even Hard to Give the Store Away. Ruth, João-Pierre S. // Business News New Jersey;1/1/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p25
Focuses on the impact of recession on the retail industry in New Jersey. Occurrence of bankruptcies among retailers; Expansion plans of Best Buy; Effect of cocooning approach on profits earned by Harvey Electronics.
- Retail repositioning in 1996. // Journal of Property Management;May/Jun96, Vol. 61 Issue 3, p8
Looks at the 1996 retail market record number of retailer bankruptcies, which is similar to the office market meltdown of the early 1990s. Comments by Mark Tanguay of Tanguay-Burke-Stratton, a national bankruptcy workout and real estate service firm.
- Retail administrations increase by 27% in Q4. // DIY Week;1/13/2012, p6
The article reports on the 27 percent increase in the number of retailers that have fallen into administration in the fourth quarter of 2011, according to Gazette listings.
- Bankruptcy bills pass House, Senate units. Ramey, Joanna // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;4/29/1999, Vol. 177 Issue 82, p15
Reports that bankruptcy bills that cleared US House and Senate Judiciary committees in the week of April 29, 1999, are a mixed bag for retailers. Issues affecting retailers in the legislation; Determining the ability of bankruptcy filers to repay part of their debt; Restriction to reaffirmation...
- Lawyers: New uses for Ch. 11. Wilner, Rich // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;11/20/1995, Vol. 170 Issue 95, p12
Reports on changes in the Chapter 11 process. Need for clothing makers to be aware of the changes; Highlights of the WWD Financial Forum on the issue; Future Chapter 11 retail filing; Loss of stigma associated with bankruptcy; Evolution of the bankruptcy code.
- Inventory: A Clue to Ch. 11. Young, Vicki M. // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;12/6/1999, Vol. 178 Issue 108, p26
Discusses why retailers go bankrupt. Explanation from Thomas Yake of Yake & Associates; Indicators for bankruptcy; Details on retial inventory method.
- Bankruptcies ebbing. Young, Vicki M. // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;7/15/1998, Vol. 176 Issue 10, p30
Reports on the decrease in the number of bankruptcies in the retail business in the United States in 1998. Factors that helped curtail bankruptcy filings; Observations from a liquidation firm; Effect of the growth of the economy on lenders and loans; Details on Kmart Corporation's financial...