Literacy and Moral Illiteracy
- Lie Detecting as a Step Towards Critical Literacy. Caviglia, Francesco // L1-Educational Studies in Language & Literature;2002, Vol. 2 Issue 3, p179
A lie mediated by the printed word can be more difficult to spot and more dangerous than one told in a face-to-face situation. However, lies are not a common item of study in the L1 curriculum. This paper describes an attempt to foster better understanding of lies as an initial step towards...
- Cheat Sheet. Reece, Tamekia // Current Health 1;Sep2008, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p12
The article addresses some issues that students need to think about when they are faced with the cheating decision.
- UNI OF WOLLONGONG PASSES STUDENT 'ETHICAL OBJECTION' POLICY. // New Vegetarian & Natural Health;Spring2003, p45
Focuses on a student ethical objection policy implemented by the University of Wollongong, New South Wales to allow undergraduates to choose humane alternatives to animal use in their courses.
- Professional Control and Lay Governance in Schools: Implications for Addressing Student Diversity. Dunn, Randy J. // Urban Review;Mar98, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p97
While we commonly accept that the purpose of schools properly focuses on teaching and learning, the focus of control over these functions has traditionally resided far from the school-site level of the professional, and with the lay board of education. The potential impact of the tension between...
- YOU DECIDE! // Weekly Reader News - Edition 3;4/4/2008, Vol. 77 Issue 23, p2
An activity is presented wherein readers are asked on what would they do if one of their classmates ask for some of the answers to a test.
- A comparison of the academic ethics of graduate business, education, and engineering students. Brown, Bob S. // College Student Journal;Sep96, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p294
Presents a comparison of the academic ethics of graduate, business, education and engineering students. Minimal variation found in ratings of overall measure of academic ethics; Ratings of reasons for participation in unethical academic behavior.
- STICKY SITUATION. // Scholastic News -- Edition 5/6;4/26/2010, Vol. 78 Issue 22, p7
The article presents a situation wherein children are asked what they would do when asked by a classmate to cheat.
- LETTER FROM THE EDITORS. // APA Newsletters;Fall2012, Vol. 12 Issue 1, Special section p1
An introduction is presented in which the editors discuss various reports within the issue on topics including the philosophy of sex and love, the difference between deductive and inductive arguments, and the exploration of philosophical and ethical questions among school students in Australasia.
- No Ifs, Ands, or Butts. Whitby, Bob // Teacher Magazine;May2002, Vol. 13 Issue 8, p28
Reports on "Artful Truth," an elementary education program in Florida that has students battling the tobacco industry with marketing tools of their own. Combination of media literacy and an anti-smoking crusade; Description of the program, including its focus on teaching children how to decode...