- A Requiem, A Reality Check. Lee, Rikki // Wireless Week;04/03/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 14, p4
Deals with the bankruptcy of Iridium, a satellite-based mobile communication systems company in the United States. Factors which contributed to the failure of Iridium; Comparison between Iridium and the Globalstar artificial satellite system; Satellite service costs.
- Iridium loans lift satellite hopes. // Telecommunications - International Edition;Feb99, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p11
Reports on telecommunications firm Iridium LLC's loan to finance its satellite project. Loan from Chase Securities and Barclays Capital; Optimism over the future of the next generation satellite communication systems.
- Iridium--a case study in progress. Halligan // Electronic Design;09/20/99, Vol. 47 Issue 19, p18
Editorial. Comments on the failure of Iridium LLC to realize its vision of a global satellite phone system. Company's filing for Chapter 11 reorganization; Criticisms regarding the Iidium technology; Inability to reconcile technology with market realities; Value of the entrepreneurial drive.
- Iridium begins countdown. // Telephony;01/13/97, Vol. 232 Issue 2, p44
Highlights Iridium's launch of the first three satellites of its 66-satellite system which will provide voice, fax and data service.
- The final countdown. Meyers, Jason // Telephony;11/17/97, Vol. 233 Issue 20, p36
Focuses on Iridium Inc.'s low earth orbit satellite system called Iridium. Unification of the elements for various types of communication networks as the system's function; Components and benefits of the system for network operators; Total number of Iridium's satellites planned for...
- Iridium completes satellite constellation deployment. // Mobile Radio Technology;Jul98, Vol. 16 Issue 7, p43
Reports on the technical completion of Iridium Inc.'s 66-satellite wireless personal telecommunications network. Launching of five communications satellites on May 17, 1998; Communication services offered.
- Iridium falls short again. Tanner, John C. // Telecom Asia;May99, Vol. 10 Issue 5, p14
Focuses on the financial problems faced by Iridium, the operator of pioneer LEOsat network. Failure of the company to meet its financial target; Resignation of Iridium's top-level officials, including Chief Executive Officer Edward Staiano and Chief Financial Officer Roy Grant; Declining number...
- Space calls. Vizard, Frank // Popular Science;Oct98, Vol. 253 Issue 4, p94
Provides information on satellite communication, focusing on the satellite phone system of Iridium Company. Number of satellites the Iridium system consists of; How these satellites are positioned in orbit; How the system works; Details on GlobalStar satellite system. INSETS: The Internet goes...
- Sorting through the satellite voice market. Swasey, Larry // America's Network;07/15/99, Vol. 103 Issue 11, p24
Provides information on satellite voice communication systems. Voice communication service offered by Iridium LLC; Factors that hinder the success of Iridium; Companies that offer voice communication services.