Improving Tax Guidance
- ABA Report Shows One Bond Attorney Unhappy With Appeals. McConnell, Alison L. // Bond Buyer;9/21/2007, Vol. 361 Issue 32718, p5
The article reports on the issues concerning the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) appeals process. According to a survey of the American Bar Association (ABA), tax attorneys are generally satisfied with the fairness of the IRS appeals process, but at least one bond attorney believes appeals...
- Naming-Rights Clarion. Duff, Susanna // Bond Buyer;3/17/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31594, p1
Reports on municipal bond attorneys' request to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service to issue formal guidance on tax-exempt bond deals involving naming rights for sports and conventions. Cause of concerns over the issue; Issues raised by municipal bond attorneys; Analysts' opinion about the issue.
- Concern Over Conduits. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;6/18/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31410, p1
Reports the concern of Mark Scott, national director for tax-exempt bonds of the Internal Revenue Service on the removal of its power to penalize conduit borrowers who violate the tax laws the U.S. Movement in changing the legal interpretation of section 150(b) of the tax code; Deduction of...
- IRS: 63 Agreements Reached This Year, With No Investors Taxed. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;9/20/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31475, p4
Reports the closing agreement of the Internal Revenue Service with bond issuers on tax-exempt bonds in Chicago, Illinois. Investigation of the agency on forty tax sheltered-related cases; Emphasis of the agency on the blind-pools and zero coupon deals of tax shelter abuses; Effort of the agency...
- IRS Redoubles Investigation of 501(c)(3) `Blind Pools'. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;1/28/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31312, p5
Focuses on the investigation by the Internal Revenue Service into 'blind pool' tax-exempt bonds issued by 501 (c) (3) organizations in the U.S. Reason for issuing the blind pool bonds by the organizations; Requirement to issue the tax-exempt bonds; Contradiction between pattern of loaning used...
- IRS Sitting Down With Issuers To Resolve Sticky Tax Matters. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;1/31/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31315, p5
Focuses on plans of the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) officials to work with bond issuers to resolve tax questions on tax-exempt bond deals. Comments of tax-exempt bonds field operations manager Charles anderson on the agency's process of working with issuers; Indications of a review of...
- Columbus, Ohio, pension bond case nearing end; City expects favorable verdict. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;12/01/97, Vol. 322 Issue 30282, p5
Reveals that in the proposed final effort for the sale of approximately $25 million of tax-exempt pension obligation bonds over the Internal Revenue Service's objections, lawyers for Columbus, Ohio signed legal briefs. Concerns over whether the city would derive an illegal arbitrage profit;...
- Underwriters Shouldn't Be Allowed Private-Letter Ruling, IRS Official Says. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;09/22/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30981, p4
Reports that underwriters should not be able to ask the United States Internal Revenue Service to give an opinion on whether a tax-exempt bond transaction that is in the idea stage should pass regulatory muster. Proposed rule change allowing bankers to request private-letter rulings.
- IRS Plans New Schooling for Bond Agents, Public. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;09/22/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30981, p4
Reports on the plan of the United States Internal Revenue Service to start publishing educational material each year for its tax-exempt agents. Launching of an annual Continued Professional Education text for the bond agents; Requirements for granting 501(c)(3) status.