Sharpening Your Media Skills
- Interviewing Sources. Wilkerson, Isabel // Nieman Reports;Spring2002, Vol. 56 Issue 1, p16
Presents the steps in interviewing the sources of journalists. Concept of the adjustment phase in the interview; Aspects of the moment of connection phase of the interview; Importance of the reinvigoration phase of the interview, where the source feels free to say almost anything. INSET: Be a...
- Good Questions Emerge Out of Good Information. Stein, M. L. // Nieman Reports;Summer2002, Vol. 56 Issue 2, p94
Emphasizes the importance of preparing for an interview by a reporter. Benefits from preparing for an interview; Barriers to a successful interview; Solutions to interview barriers.
- In the Final Analysis, You're Better Off Talking to the Press. Luftman, Mike // Cable World (10427228);10/7/2002, Vol. 14 Issue 37, p58
Presents advice to executives on dealing with reporters. Ways to handle a reporter who acquired a sensitive internal document; Tips for dealing with unrelated questions during a prearranged interview; Importance of avoiding an intemperate reply to a reporter's question.
- Interviews with the Interviewers. Luechtefeld, Lori // IRE Journal;May/Jun2003, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p18
Part III. Gives advice on handling confrontations in interviews for journalistic reporting. Attitude a reporter must maintain when faced with a confrontational interviewee; Objectives of a reporter in final interviews; Technique in handling lies uttered by an interviewee. INSET: More tips.
- ANSWER THE &%$#* QUESTION! Lieberman, Trudy // Columbia Journalism Review;Jan/Feb2004, Vol. 42 Issue 5, p40
The article examines the reasons of interviewees for evading certain questions of reporters. Recently, television guests tiptoe around questions while interviewers either lose control or throw out softballs aimed at making sure their subjects will want to come back. Media training, a...
- Preparation is key to a successful media interview. Finchum, Mary Jo // Corridor Business Journal;9/7/2009, Vol. 6 Issue 7, p26
The author focuses on the importance of preparation to a successful media interview. She offers tips on how executives can respond to an interview being requested by a reporter regarding the developments in the business. According to the author, it is important to assist the reporter with...
- GOSS formula may handicap reporter if misapplied. Jachon, Kenneth M. // Journalism Educator;April74, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p31
This article present information on the implication of using the GOSS formula for generating questions to ask during interviews. It is informed that the said formula is devised by LaRue Gilleland. The formula is most helpful when the student-reporter has no interview plan, runs out of productive...
- Calling All Kid Reporters! // Weekly Reader News - Senior;5/4/2007, Vol. 85 Issue 25, p6
This article invites readers to join the periodical's kid reporter team for 2007-2008. The periodical is seeking 10 students from across the U.S. to write national and local stories for it. The young reporters will interview celebrities, politicians and other news-makers, cover certain events...
- Calling All Kid Reporters! // Weekly Reader News - Edition 4;5/4/2007, Vol. 88 Issue 25, p6
The article encourages school children in the U.S. to be a kid reporter in this publication for 2007 to 2008. The publication needed 10 students from different states to write national and local stories. Aside from interviewing celebrities, politicians, and other newsmakers, the kid reporters...