Troubleshooting bearing failure
- Life ratings for ball and roller bearings. Harris, T A; Barnsby, R M // Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers -- Part J;2001, Vol. 215 Issue 6, p577
Since the beginning of the twentieth century, bearing manufacturers and users have sought to predict the fatigue endurance of ball and roller bearings. The first generally accepted method to predict bearing life and rate bearings accordingly was published in 1947 by Lundberg and Palmgren (LP)....
- How Much Misalignment Is Trouble? Walker, Timothy J. // Paper, Film & Foil Converter;Jan2009, Vol. 83 Issue 1, p12
The article offers information on good alignment design to ensure that the rollers of machines are aligned. It notes that there are three big problems that occur from roller misalignments such as lateral shifting, loose edges and shear wrinkles. However, it suggests that whether a roller...
- Thrust bearing handles heavier loads. // Design News;1/21/91, Vol. 47 Issue 2, p32
The article reports that SKF Specialty Bearings' double-direction, angular-contact thrust ball bearings offer improved axial stiffness, increased load-carrying capacity, and higher operating speeds in machine tools. They also provide a spindle with axial location in both direction \when used...
- COMBINED SPHERICAL ROLLER BEARINGS FUNCTIONING ANALYSIS. STIRBU, Cristel; GRIGORAS, Stefan; HANGANU, Lucian Constantin; LOGHIN, Maria Carmen; IONESCU, Irina // Annals of DAAAM & Proceedings;Jan2009, p215
The paper presents a combined (theoretical and experimental) method for spherical roller bearing functioning analysis. The method is based on a model of bearings witch perms to modify the inner geometry for friction losses diminishing. Other direction of presented researches represents the...
- Tireless metals. Cameron, Kevin // Cycle World;Jun2005, Vol. 44 Issue 6, p16
Presents a history of the evolution of ball and roller bearings for motorcycles. Mass-production of accurate, low-cost steel balls used in safety bicycles; Development of technology to strengthen steel without making it brittle; Process for improving rolling bearing fatigue life.
- Quiet rollers for heavy loads. // Machine Design;4/1/2004 Supplement, Vol. 76, p16
Introduces the Power-Core rollers from Intech Corp. Features of the roller bearings; Applications of the rollers.
- Choosing a crossed-roller bearing. Yamaguchi, Naoki // Motion System Design;Apr2010, Vol. 52 Issue 4, p38
The article discusses the efficiency of crossed-roller bearings in rigid mechanical linear applications. It states that crossed-roller bearings are essential in reducing deflection while increasing rigidity. One of the many advantages of recirculating ball bushings is that the shaft must only be...
- INCORPORATING HYDRAULICS TO PROPERLY MOUNT AND DISMOUNT BEARINGS. Hewitt, Greg // Coal Age;May2009, Vol. 114 Issue 5, p44
The article presents the author's views on mounting large bore bearings. The author says that properly installing large bore roller bearings is essential in achieving the maximum life of a mounted bearing as one of the common cause of failure of large bore bearings is improper mounting...
- Direct-bond bearings challenge inserts. Saxion, Steve; Kren, Lawrence // Machine Design;11/20/2003, Vol. 75 Issue 22, p61
Features the direct-bond insert bearings application process introduced by Dimension Bond of Chicago, Illinois in November 2003. Types of bearings used in machineries; Capabilities of the direct-bonded bearings; Benefits in using direct-bonded bearings. INSET: LONGER-LASTING SHOCK ABSORVERS.