HOW TO INCREASE INTAKE: CALCIUM AND DAIRY
- Calcium, Obesity and Diabetes. Blocker, Anne K. // Diabetes Health;Jul2004, Vol. 13 Issue 7, p34
Focuses on the health benefits of taking calcium rich food. Capability of calcium to prevent osteoporosis; Foods with great sources of calcium.
- Women's calcium needs...a matter of age. // Swim Magazine;May/Apr94, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p14
Highlights a report by Bruce Ettinger on the eight issue of volume 85 of the `Southern Medical Journal,' on calcium recommendations for phases of a woman's life to prevent osteoporosis. Amount of calcium needed after women's skeletons stop growing at age 17; Minimum calcium requirement once...
- Osteoporosis: Calcium matters--but how? Kradjian, Robert M. // Nutrition Health Review: The Consumer's Medical Journal;1996, Issue 76, p9
Part II. Examines the importance of calcium in preventing osteoporosis. Major causes of osteoporosis; Calcium balance; Best sources of calcium.
- Mind your bones, without the milk. Robinson, Rita // Better Nutrition;Jul99, Vol. 61 Issue 7, p36
Focuses on the food sources of calcium needed by the body to prevent osteoporosis. Calcium content of plain, low-fat yogurt and sardines in oil with bones; Women who are at greater risk of low-bone density; Presence of phytoestrogens in vegetables that serve as defenses against thinning bones;...
- Boning up on calcium. // Seventeen;Dec93, Vol. 52 Issue 12, p44
Discusses how the risk of osteoporosis can be reduced by stepping up one's calcium intake. Effects of osteoporosis; Listing of calcium-rich foods.
- The calcium challenge. Springer, Ilene // Cosmopolitan;Jan1997, Vol. 222 Issue 1, p114
Highlights the health benefits of dietary calcium. Link between dietary calcium and bone density; Role of calcium in helping prevent osteoporosis; Foods that are rich in calcium; Calcium supplementation; Importance of exercise and a balanced diet in keeping the bones strong; Foods and...
- The Battle for Your bones. Peskett, Trudy // Alive: Canada's Natural Health & Wellness Magazine;Feb2003, Issue 244, p110
Reports on the discovery of a form of calcium called AAACa that is more rapidly absorbed by the body by Japanese physician Takuo Fujita. Identification of the calcium in oyster shells; Clinical trials investigating the potential of AAACa in preventing osteoporosis; Effectiveness in reversing...
- Adequate calcium intake is just one way to prevent osteoporosis in patients taking corticosteroids. // Modern Medicine;Dec96, Vol. 64 Issue 12, p34
Discusses guidelines on adequate calcium intake for preventing osteoporosis in patients taking corticosteroids, developed by the American College of Rheumatology and presented at its 1996 annual meeting. Steroid dose; Calcium and vitamin D; Hormone therapy; Lifestyle changes; Bone densitometry.
- Got calcium? Lord, Mary // U.S. News & World Report;5/27/2002, Vol. 132 Issue 18, p54
Reports on the importance of calcium to children. Notion that many children are not consuming enough in their diet; Discussion of the risk of osteoporosis; Why teenagers need calcium more than any other age group; Role of parents in helping children to get enough calcium; Consideration of milk...