THE DENSER IGNORANCE OF SEX EDUCATION
- What are they teaching in sex ed these days? Lippman, Helen // Medical Economics;04/24/2000, Vol. 77 Issue 8, p79
Presents the results of studies made by the Alan Guttmacher Institute and the Kaiser Family Foundation on the no sex outside of marriage policies of public schools in the United States. Provision of information on contraceptive use as protection against unwanted pregnancy and disease;...
- Education for intimacy. Etzioni, Amitai // Educational Leadership;May97, Vol. 54 Issue 8, p20
Reports that sex education in American public schools should be presented in a context that emphasizes values as well as personal and community responsibility. Exploration of commitments involved; Focus on proper values and interpersonal skill development; Right of parents to be involved and...
- Teenage Bodies, Teenage Selves: Tracing the Implications of Bio-Power in Contemporary Sexuality.... Hayden, Sara // Women's Studies in Communication;Spring2001, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p30
Focuses on the implications of sexuality education for public schools in the United States. Analysis of two sexuality education programs; Use of a feminist Foucauldian frame; Promotion of a pro-life agenda.
- Just say 'don't know' Biundo, Jen // Free Press (Buda, TX);3/4/2009, Vol. 105 Issue 48, p1A
The article focuses on the report released by health education professors David Wiley and Kelly Wilson regarding the sex education curriculum of several public schools in Texas.
- Square Pegs and Round Holes: Community Schooling and the State. BAILEY, BRENDAN // Phi Delta Kappan;Nov2008, Vol. 90 Issue 3, p232
The article presents the author's reflections on the nature of community schooling and its relationship with state government regulations within the United States. The non-traditional methodology of community schools are championed by the author, but challenges in balancing independence from...
- Education in a state. Slagle, Tim // Liberty (08941408);Jun2008, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p17
The author addresses the ruling in California which emphasizes the need for homeschoolers to be certified by the state in order for them to be excused from attending public school. He speculates on the success of the homeschooling movement. He considers the possible consequences of providing...
- The Sex Education Debates. BARLOW, DUDLEY // Education Digest;Sep2013, Vol. 79 Issue 1, p70
The article reviews the book "The Sex Education Debates" by Nancy Kendall.
- A NEW PATH TO EXCELLENCE: THE PATH THAT LEADS TO STRONGER STUDENTS, BETTER SCHOOLS, AND ENGAGED COMMUNITIES. Holdmeyer, Sarah // UMKC Law Review;Summer2015, Vol. 83 Issue 4, p1017
The article explores the governing structure of the public school system in Missouri, as of June 2015. Topics discussed include procedures for accreditation of public schools in the state; violation of the Hancock Amendment and Article VI of the Missouri Constitution; and problems associated...
- Twenty Years and Counting: A Look at Waldorf in the Public Sector Using Online Sources. Larrison, Abigail L.; Daly, Alan J.; VanVooren, Carol // Current Issues in Education;10/5/2012, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p1
As the number of public Waldorf schools operating in the U.S. continues to grow, there is a need to examine the effectiveness of this approach in the public sector. This empirical study provides a beginning look at available quantitative and qualitative extant data on public Waldorf schools...