Artificial Retina Enters Trial
- Fetal retinal cells restore sight. Josefson, Deborah // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);11/30/96, Vol. 313 Issue 7069, p1353
Reports the success of experimental fetal retinal cell transplants to blind patients conducted by Dr. Manuel del Cerro in New York. Process in the implantation; Use of retinal cells from aborted fetuses aged 14-16 weeks; Stability of the results of the implantation; Plan of del Cerro to...
- Genable Gets $6.8M for Gene Therapy in Retinitis Pigmentosa. Sheridan, Cormac // BioWorld Today;11/14/2011, Vol. 22 Issue 221, p4
The article announces that Dublin, Ireland-based Genable Technologies Ltd. has raised 6.8 million U.S. dollars in a Series B financing round to take forward a mutation-independent gene therapy approach for treating an autosomal-dominant form of retinitis pigmentosa (RP). Genable founder and...
- Subretinal implants offer new hope for some blind patients. Pedersen, Amanda // Medical Device Daily;5/11/2012, Vol. 16 Issue 92, p1
The article focuses on a microchip technology developed by German firm Retina Implant designed to be implanted just below the retina in patients with retinitis pigmentosa (RP). The microchip is about 3 millimeters (mm) in diameter and about 50 �m thickness. Details of the clinical trials that...
- FDA Panel Scheduled to Review 2nd Sight's Argus(r) II Retinal Prosthesis System. // Biomedical Market Newsletter;7/26/2012, Vol. 21, p1
The article informs that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration will be reviewing the market approval application for Argus II Retinal Prosthesis System. It further informs that 2nd Sight Medical Products Inc. has submitted the results from the clinical trial of Argus for the treatment of...
- Reversing Retinitis Pigmentosa, and a Healthy Guide Dog. // Gerson Healing Newsletter;Mar/Apr2010, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p8
No abstract available.
- Brighten dimming vision. // Prevention;Nov93, Vol. 45 Issue 11, p12
Informs on a sight saver that comes from the vitamin shelf. Results of a study reported in `Archives of Ophthalmology,' June 1993, involving 601 patients with retinitis pigmentosa (RP) who were given high doses of vitamins A and E; Researcher Dr. Eliot Berson; Toll-free number for information on RP.
- Miniature drug factories save failing eyesight. Cohen, Philip // New Scientist;1/4/2003, Vol. 177 Issue 2376, p18
Focuses on a capsule packed with human eye cells that has been turned into a drug factory for treatment of inherited eye disease retinitis pigmentosa. Protection of cells from immune attack by the capsule; Reasons for selecting the disease of retinitis pigmentosa; Procedure of implantation of...
- Acupuncture for the treatment of vision loss due to retinitis pigmentosa. // Ocular Surgery News;8/25/2012, Vol. 30 Issue 16, Special section p8
No abstract available.
- Study shows that vitamin A can slow the effects of retinitis pigmentosa. // Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness;Sep93, Vol. 87 Issue 7, p278
Reports on a study published in the June 1993 issue of `Archives of Ophthalmology' on the benefits of vitamin A supplements for persons with retinitis pigmentosa. Guidelines for treatment; Contact information.