UL Reveals Construction Study Results
- Study: Air is Hazardous During Overhaul. Roberts, Mary Rose // Fire Chief;Nov2010, Vol. 54 Issue 11, p11
The article offers information on the study report presented by the University of Cincinnati, Underwriters Laboratories Inc. and the Fire Department of Chicago related to the heart disease in firefighters, who expose themselves to the harmful ultrafine air particles in the U.S.
- SPLASH CONTROL. Ferguson, Myron // Journal of Light Construction;Dec2013, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p61
The article evaluates the Bucket Splash Guard used in light construction.
- Research Underway to Help Improve Firefighthig Tactics. // Professional Safety;Apr2010, Vol. 55 Issue 4, p17
The article offers infomation on a research project that Underwriters Laboratories (UL) has started for the improvement of firefighting tactics and reduction of firefighter fatalities and injuries.
- Mastering Ventilation to Decrease Firefighter Injuries and Deaths. KERBER, STEVE // Fire Engineering;Mar2011, Vol. 164 Issue 3, p161
The article discusses a research project on fire behavior resulting from varied ventilation openings in legacy and modern residential structures conducted by Underwriters Laboratories in Northbrook, Illinois. The availability of more fuel to burn is attributed to the increased use of synthetic...
- Q&A. // Journal of Light Construction;Oct2012, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p19
The article presents several questions and answers related to light construction including one on the twisting of pressure-treated (PT) lumber, another on the need of guardrails for workers' safety, and one on the installation of drywall directly over rigid foam.
- UL introduces online courses. // Fire Engineering;Jan2013, Vol. 166 Issue 1, p32
The article announces that the safety science company Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL) has introduced electronic learning modules for fire service personnel which include courses on basement fire dynamics, the impact of horizontal ventilation on fires in residential buildings, and firefighter...
- Measuring the true economic impact of firefighting. Case, Jeff // Fire Chief Expert Blog;8/13/2013, p2
The article discusses a study on the true economic impact of firefighting initiated by the Phoenix Fire Department and United Phoenix Firefighters Association in Arizona in partnership with Underwriters Laboratories and the Seidman Research Institute of Arizona State University. The study found...
- The Fire Attack-Ventilation Connection: Street Considerations. AVILLO, ANTHONY // Fire Engineering;Aug2014, Vol. 167 Issue 8, p71
In the article, the author discusses issues in the fire services sector in the U.S. as of August 2014, particularly the relationship between firefighters' fire attack and ventilation. He claims that the use of new materials in furnishings and building construction resulted in more lethal fire...
- The Fire Hazards of Lightweight Construction. // Fire Chief Expert Blog;11/6/2012, p1
The article discusses a strategy for teaching building construction to new firefighter recruits. It likens the modern firefight to a prey and a predator, in which the prey is the firefighter and the predator is the fire. It identifies conditions for the survival of the prey. It explains the...