The Politics of Fall Lists
- How To Choose A Good Book. Miller, Ellen; Pergament, Danielle; Van Boven, Sarah // Allure;Jun2008, p96
The article offers tips from Mary Gay Shipley, owner of That Bookstore in Blytheville, Arkansas, on choosing a good book for summer reading. She believes that a good independent bookstore, where all the employees are obsessed with literature, is the best place to get a recommendation. Librarians...
- MONTANA. Thornton, Matthew // Publishers Weekly;6/25/2007, Vol. 254 Issue 26, p20
The article offers a look at the state of the bookselling industry in Montana. The state has two major markets for books. College towns Missoula, to the west of the Divide, and Bozeman, to the east, have the highest reading populations, and both areas are growing dramatically. As in many parts...
- What recession? Weiler, Derek; Davies, James; Crawley, Devin // Quill & Quire;Feb2002, Vol. 68 Issue 2, p7
Reports the increased sales of independent booksellers in Canada. Comments on the overrating the impact of global economic cycles; Impact of the wider cultural interest in reading; Problem over short supply of international book titles. INSETS: Superstore stars;Buying a vowel;Local...
- The great literary crapshoot. Anderson, Scott // Quill & Quire;Feb2002, Vol. 68 Issue 2, p16
Comments issues related to the book industry in Canada. Success of the book 'Eunopia,' by Christian BÃ¶k; Discussion on increasing sales of literary titles; Role of independent bookstores.
- RHODE ISLAND. Rosen, Judith // Publishers Weekly;10/1/2007, Vol. 254 Issue 39, p20
The article offers a look at the bookselling industry in Rhode Island. Rhode Island has the second highest population density following New Jersey. With 400 miles of coast line and a land area of only 1,045 square miles, the state supports eight chain and eight independent bookstores. Such...
- Indies Report Good Finish to Holiday Season. Howell, Kevin; Nawotka, Edward // Publishers Weekly;1/6/2003, Vol. 250 Issue 1, p9
Reports on the sales performance of several independent booksellers in the U.S. in 2002. Performance of Joseph-Beth's stores in Ohio, Tennessee and Kentucky; Sales of The Book Stall in Illinois; McLean & Eakin in Michigan.
- Youth and Reading: What We're Doing Wrong. Norris, Michael // Book Publishing Report;May2010, Vol. 35 Issue 5, p1
The article offers the author's insights concerning the effective ways to influence a child to read. The author mentions that bookstores are the most commonly utilized channel for buying books. The author states that he interviewed 100 independent bookstores regarding who really buys the books...
- INDEPENDENT BOOKSTORE SALES CONTINUE UPWARD TREND. Graves, Pamela // Giftware News;Aug2005, Vol. 30 Issue 8, p93
Reports on the growth in sales of independent bookstores in the U.S. in 2004. Consumer demand for books; Market condition of the children's book sector.
- Last of a vanishing breed. Flamm, Matthew // Crain's New York Business;10/9/2006, Vol. 22 Issue 41, p3
The article focuses on issues related to independent book stores in New York. A number of book stores in the state will be closed soon due to the increasing competition from chain stores and Web retailers. Some of the stores have introduced new plans to promote impulse buys. The book store...