- RESEARCH ABSTRACTS: NEEDS AND SUPPORT. // Community Care;8/23/2007, Issue 1687, p37
The article presents abstracts on social care and welfare topics including the mental health needs of asylum seekers and refugees, a social model analysis of the experiences of disabled refugees and asylum seekers and a study on poverty among asylum seekers.
- Zones of indistinction: family life in Danish asylum centres. Vitus, Kathrine // Distinktion: Scandinavian Journal of Social Theory;2011, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p95
In Western societies, asylum politics is a highly debated issue, as modern nation states come under increasing pressure from globalization and find it more difficult to remain homogeneous institutions for ruling. In the context of these pressures, asylum-seekers constitute political and...
- Mental health among children seeking asylum in Denmark--the effect of length of stay and number of relocations: a cross-sectional study. Nielsen, Signe S.; Norredam, Marie; Christiansen, Karen L.; Obel, Carsten; Hilden, Jørgen; Krasnik, Allan // BMC Public Health;2008, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p293
Background: The process of seeking asylum and the related organisational conditions in the host country may adversely affect the children's mental health. The objective of this study was to examine the mental health of children seeking asylum in relation to organisational factors of the asylum...
- UK policies harm mental health. // Community Care;7/4/2002, Issue 1429, p14
Focuses on the mental health of asylum seekers. Problems experienced by asylum seekers; Actions needed to address the problem.
- Mental Health Among Persons Awaiting an Asylum Outcome in Western Countries. Ryan, Dermot A.; Kelly, Fiona E.; Kelly, Brendan D. // International Journal of Mental Health;Fall2009, Vol. 38 Issue 3, p88
Asylum seekers are among the most marginalized and powerless groups in Western societies. Unlike persons with refugee status, asylum seekers live with the constant fear of deportation. They are generally denied access to work, private accommodation, education, and regular social welfare...
- Use of health care services by Afghan, Iranian, and Somali refugees and asylum seekers living in The Netherlands. Gerritsen, Annette A. M.; Bramsen, Inge; Devillé, Walter; van Willigen, Loes H. M.; Hovens, Johannes E.; Van der Ploeg, Henk M. // European Journal of Public Health;Aug2006, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p394
Although asylum seekers have been coming to The Netherlands since the 1980s, very few epidemiological studies have focused on this group of inhabitants, or on the refugees who have resettled in this country. The objective of this study is to estimate the use of health care services by refugees...
- New medical centre for asylum seekers. // Community Care;3/13/2003, Issue 1463, p8
Provides information on Asylum Seeker and Refugee Centre for Health in Birmingham, England.
- IT'S THE SURVIVORS WHO THRIVE. Sale, Anabel Unity // Community Care;10/30/2003, Issue 1496, p24
Reports that a lack of understanding among professionals and unhelpful immigration laws are undermining attempts to improve the mental health of asylum seekers and refugees. Factors which contribute to the mental health problems of asylum seekers; Asylum system's fundamental problem.
- Detaining asylum seekers. Salinsky, Mary // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);2/15/97, Vol. 314 Issue 7079, p456
Editorial. Addresses the moral and health aspects of the practice of detaining asylum seekers in Great Britain. Significance of the hunger strike of asylum seekers detained in Rochester prison; Mental and emotional effects of detention on asylum seekers; Rationale for detaining asylum seekers.
- Physical and mental health of Afghan, Iranian and Somali asylum seekers and refugees living in the Netherlands. Gerritsen, Annette; Bramsen, Inge; Devillé, Walter; Willigen, Loes; Hovens, Johannes; Ploeg, Henk // Social Psychiatry & Psychiatric Epidemiology;Jan2006, Vol. 41 Issue 1, p18
Context Worldwide, the number of refugees and asylum seekers is estimated to be about 11.5 million plus a much larger number of former refugees who have obtained a residence permit in a new country. Although asylum seekers have been coming to the Netherlands since the 1980s, very few...