Wrongful birth litigation and prenatal screening
- Offering prenatal diagnostic tests: European guidelines for clinical practice. Skirton, Heather; Goldsmith, Lesley; Jackson, Leigh; Lewis, Celine; Chitty, Lyn // European Journal of Human Genetics;May2014, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p714
A correction to the article "Offering prenatal diagnostic tests: European guidelines for clinical practice," by Heather Skirton and colleagues in the 2014 issue is presented.
- Protect yourself from diagnosis-related lawsuits. Johnson, Lee J. // Medical Economics;4/23/2010, Vol. 87 Issue 8, p30
The article discusses a court case that highlights the legalities concerning physician's protection against medical practices in the conduct of standard care for patient's undergoing diagnosis. A case of medical malpractice is also discussed on the diagnosis of an 82-year-old female patient who...
- The Current Status of Medical Malpractice Countersuits. Sokol, David J. // American Journal of Law & Medicine;Winter85, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p439
The dramatic growth of medical malpractice litigation in recent decades has contributed significantly to an overall increase in health care costs in this country. Although lawmakers, physicians, and other responsible citizens have proposed numerous solutions in an effort to curb the crisis,...
- Malpractice crisis? Not here! Lowes, Robert // Medical Economics;7/12/2002, Vol. 79 Issue 13, p86
Discusses the medical malpractice litigation crisis in the U.S. Importance of tort reform; States that have the lowest malpractice payments; Need to have more enterprising plaintiffs' attorneys. INSET: The malpractice climate can vary dramatically in the same state..
- FOREWORD: THE VALUE OF COMPARATIVE PERSPECTIVES. Furrow, Barry R. // Drexel Law Review;Fall2011, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p1
An introduction to the journal is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including the history of litigation in the U.S. and the familiar complaints by physicians, the pros and cons of the claims for medical malpractice reform, and an examination of...
- Correspondence. Sokol, David J. // American Journal of Law & Medicine;1986, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p323
Comments on David J. Sokol in his article 'The Current Status of Medical Malpractice Countersuits.' Failure to acknowledge the numerical preponderance of unsuccessful over successful countersuits; Effectiveness of countersuits in combatting frivolous medical malpractice claims.
- ALL THE MEDMAL NEWS. Graham, Rex // ABA Journal;Nov88, Vol. 74 Issue 11, p22
Reports on the database called MEDMAL, which shows the growing trends of medical liability lawsuits in the U.S. Two fields of medicine that are most likely to be sued; Amount of settlements and judgments reported monthly in the database; Publisher of MEDMAL.
- Medical Malpractice... prescribed sex. Ashman, Allan // American Bar Association Journal;Aug75, Vol. 61 Issue 8, p976
Reports on the ruling of the Civil Court of the City of New York on the case, Roy v. Hartogs. Trial court's upholding of a public policy that protects a patient from the deliberate and malicious abuse of power and breach of trust by a psychiatrist; Background of the case; Case involving a...
- Filipino docs in trouble for YouTube vid. // Gay & Lesbian Times;05/01/2008, Issue 1062, p24
The article reports on the lawsuits and probable penalties faced by doctors and nurses at the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center in Cebu City, Philippines, due to a YouTube video showing a medical extraction of an aerosol can from a man's rectum.