Depression in the elderly: Does family system play a role? A cross-sectional study
- Depression in the very old/ Differences in presentation and approach to treatment: A case example. Finkel, Sanford I. // Geriatrics;Mar2003, Vol. 58 Issue 3, p48
Presents a medical case of depression in a very old patient. Incident which led to the patient's condition; Anxiety of an aged study participant on being afflicted with Alzheimer's disease; Psychiatric evaluation of the patient; Antidepressant agent prescribed to patient; Case's illustration of...
- New evidence that depression, cognitive impairment are related. Lichtenberg, P.A.; Ross, T. // Brown University Long-Term Care Quality Letter;3/27/95, Vol. 7 Issue 6, p6
Reports that a study has confirmed that depression and cognitive impairment in the medically ill elderly are related. Relation of depression to pathological brain changes; Study of patients enrolled in an acute geriatric rehabilitation program between 1991 and 1993.
- The Prevalence of Depressive Symptoms. Blazer, Dan G. // Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences & Medical ;Mar2002, Vol. 57A Issue 3, pM150
Editorial. Reports the prevalence of depressive symptoms among elderly men and women in the Veneto region of northeastern Italy. Interpretation of the etiology of the symptoms; Proposal to clinicians; Information on the concept of minor depression.
- Psychological Medicine. Hodkinson, H.M. // British Medical Journal;4/5/1975, Vol. 2 Issue 5961, p23
Examines the incidence of mental disturbance on the elderly with physical illness. Types of mental disturbances; Influence of depression, confusional states, and dementia on mental disturbances; Kinds of psychological medicine on mental disturbances.
- Minor Depression and 'Subthreshold' Anxiety Symptoms in Older Adults: Psychological Therapies and Special Considerations. Hegel, Mark T.; Stanley, Melinda A.; Arean, Patricia E. // Generations;Spring2002, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p44
Discusses two subthreshold conditions and the evidence for the efficacy of psychosocial therapies for older adults. Symptoms of minor depression; Information on the Patient Health Questionnaire Nine-Item Depression Module; Analysis of several interventions for the psychosocial treatments of...
- Is it really senility--or just depression? Archibald, Joan W.; Ullman, Marcia A. // RN;Nov83, Vol. 46 Issue 11, p49
Suggests ways on how to distinct depression from senility. Signs of depression in elder people; Clues to watch for depression in the elderly; Importance of developing a therapeutic relationship between the nurse and patient. INSET: Depression in the elderly: Clues to watch for.
- Toward a Threshold for Subthreshold Depression: An Analysis of Correlates of Depression by Severity of Symptoms Using Data From an Elderly Community Sample. Hybels, Celia F.; Blazer, Dan G.; Pieper, Carl F. // Gerontologist;Jun2001, Vol. 41 Issue 3, p357
Explores the demographic and risk factor profiles of two elderly groups, one with more severe depression and one with less severe depression. Factors associated with depression in elderly people; Hypotheses on the prevalence of subthreshold depression in older adults; Definition of subthreshold...
- MENTAL HEALTH. // Advocate (American Mental Health Counselors Association);Nov2015, Vol. 38 Issue 7, p24
The section presents statistics on the mental health of older people in the U.S. in 2015, including the percentage of the U.S. population made up by adults 65 and older, the prevalence of depression in older adults and the incidence of suicide among older white males.
- Late-Life Depression and Living Life Fully. Fawcett, Jan // Psychiatric Annals;Mar2014, Vol. 44 Issue 3, p110
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including late-life depression, cognitive impairment in depressed older adults, and psychotherapies for late-life depression.