The Endangered Species Act and Global Climate Change: Potential Ramifications of the Polar Bear Listing
- Precautionary Resource Management and Climate Change. Larson, Linda R.; Ferrell, Jessica K. // Natural Resources & Environment;Summer2009, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p51
In this article the author discusses the issue concerning the impact of climate change to the species and habitat listed under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) in the U.S. The author states that the condition causes harm to various species brought by environmental changes, including drought,...
- Size, Biology, and Culture: Persistence as an Indicator of Significant Portions of Range under the Endangered Species Act. Kamer, Alexandra // Ecology Law Quarterly;2010, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p525
The goal of the Endangered Species Act of 1973 is to conserve and recover species. The first step in species conservation and recovery is listing of the species as threatened or endangered under section 4 of the Act, a task charged to the Fish and Wildlife Service. In order for a species to be...
- Facts at a Glance. // International Wolf;Summer2011, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p8
The article defines recovery plan, delisting and Endangered Species Act of 1973.
- We're All Endangered Now. // Earth Island Journal;Summer2011, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p2
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including the plight of the northern spotted own, the Endangered Species Act crisis and the use of the act to address climate change.
- Traditional Ecological Knowledge. Rinkevich, Sarah E. // Endangered Species Update;2008, Vol. 25 Issue 2, Special section p18
The article offers information on the development of the Habitat Conservation Strategy for Polar Bears in Alaska under the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The strategy is used for the conservation of polar bear It cites the listing of the polar bears as a threatened species under the Endangered...
- Obama administration sides with Bush on polar bear rule. // Mining Engineering;Jun2009, Vol. 61 Issue 6, p12
The article reports on the announcement of U.S. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar that the administration of U.S. President Barack Obama will retain a Bush-era regulation that limits protection of the polar bear from global warming. The U.S. Congress gave authority to Salazar to rescind the Bush...
- The Polar Bear Challenge. // Our Planet: Weekly Newsletter of E Magazine;5/25/2008, p1
The article reports that the administration of U.S. President George W. Bush finally agreed on May 14, 2008, to list the polar bear as threatened under the Endangered Species Act.
- A CLIMATIC SHOWDOWN IN ALASKA. Stone, Daniel // Newsweek;3/15/2010, Vol. 155 Issue 11, p8
This article reports that in 2010 a U.S. federal judge will rule on whether a national cap on greenhouse gas emissions can be justified for the protection of polar bears, whose habitat was labeled as threatened by the administration of former U.S. President George W. Bush, with discussion of the...
- COLLECTING GUIDELINES. // Peterson Field Guide to Eastern Butterflies;1998, p455
The article focuses on the guidelines regarding the proper conduct and procedures in collecting butterflies. The guidelines are in line with the Federal Endangered Species Act, and after a poll of the membership, and the Lepidopteriests' Society, which appointed a committee for collecting...