Offset schemes need to change
- Now offsetting becomes 'ethical' Walsh, Charlotte // Travel Trade Gazette UK & Ireland;11/9/2007, Issue 2792, p40
The article introduces a carbon offsetting initiative developed by the Tourism Industry Carbon Offset Service (Ticos), in conjunction with Sheffield Hallam University in Great Britain. The initiative allows tourists to offset the carbon generated by their travels. According to its founder Dick...
- Potential impacts of climate change on international tourism. Agnew, Maureen D.; Viner, David // Tourism & Hospitality Research;Jul2001, Vol. 3 Issue 1, p37
Deals with a study which reviewed the potential impact of climate change on ten international tourist destinations. Rise in global temperatures during the 20th century; Source of serious environmental impacts; Factors important in determining the attractiveness of a region as a holiday destination.
- Climate change tourism conference slated Aug. 23-25 in Legazpi City. // Filipino Reporter;8/3/2012, Vol. 40 Issue 35, p21
The article presents information on the first Philippine Tourism Conference for Climate Change Adaptation (PTCCCA) to be held in Legazpi City, Albay, on August 23 to 25, 2012.
- Intrepid green goal. // Travel Daily;12/ 4/2012, p5
The article reports that travel company Intrepid Travel managing director Geoff Manchester has called upon all tourism businesses to act as leaders in implementing climate change in their day-to-day business operations after Intrepid showed an 81% drop in electricity use.
- Future climate resources for tourism in Europe based on the daily Tourism Climatic Index. Perch-Nielsen, Sabine L.; Amelung, Bas; Knutti, Reto // Climatic Change;Dec2010, Vol. 103 Issue 3/4, p363
Climate is an important resource for many types of tourism. One of several metrics for the suitability of climate for sightseeing is Mieczkowski's 'Tourism Climatic Index' (TCI), which summarizes and combines seven climate variables. By means of the TCI, we analyse the present climate resources...
- Tourism Under Climate Change: Will Slow Travel Supersede Short Breaks? Buckley, Ralf // AMBIO - A Journal of the Human Environment;May2011, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p328
The article discusses the impact of climatic changes on tourism which has been experiencing the trend of slow travel. It notes that price elasticities are higher for holiday travel as compared to business travel. It mentions that the tendency of travelers to restructure their leisure activities...
- IN SEARCH OF WARMER CLIMATES? THE IMPACT OF CLIMATE CHANGE ON FLOWS OF BRITISH TOURISTS. Maddison, David // Climatic Change;Apr2001, Vol. 49 Issue 1/2, p193
Investigates the impact of climate change on the chosen destinations of British tourists. Discussion on the pooled travel cost model; Data sources for the variables used to estimate the proposed model; Impact of climate change on the selection of Greece and Spain as tourist destinations.
- Africa's iconic mountains are losing their snow. // Filipino Post;9/4/2014, p8
No abstract available.
- The climate tourism potential of Alpine destinations using the example of Sonnblick, Rauris and Salzburg. Matzarakis, Andreas; Hämmerle, Martin; Koch, Elisabeth; Rudel, Ernest // Theoretical & Applied Climatology;Dec2012, Vol. 110 Issue 4, p645
The climate tourism potential of a region can be described by methods used in human biometeorology and applied climatology. Frequency analyses based on complex thermal bioclimatic indices (e.g. physiologically equivalent temperature) and diagrams of precipitation patterns based on thresholds...