The Comprehension Matrix: A Tool for Designing Comprehension Instruction
- Know the News. // Weekly Reader News - Edition 3;9/23/2005, Vol. 75 Issue 3, p4
Presents a reading comprehension quiz for children.
- Spotlighting specifics by combining focus questions with K-W-L. Huffman, Lois E. // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Mar98, Vol. 41 Issue 6, p470
Comments on various aspects of the K-W-L method of developing comprehension in students by helping them relate what they know to what they read, hear or view. Features of the variants of the K-W-L method (KWL (Know | Want | Learn) Reading Method); Applicability of method in all educational...
- Interactive (during Reading) Thinking Strategies. // YC: Young Children;Jul2007, Vol. 62 Issue 4, p104
The article offers thinking strategies for preschoolers during their interactive reading session. When the teachers say that good readers think about the parts of a story when they read, the preschoolers used their text structure to comprehend. And when good readers stop reading and started...
- Visualize the story to help students comprehend. Robb, Laura // Instructor-Primary;Mar1997, Vol. 106 Issue 6, p46
Recommends activities for teaching students how to comprehend a story through visualization. Drawing and description of elements from nonfiction materials; Illustration of elements from familia books.
- Comparison of two strategies for teaching reading... Ezell, Helen K.; Hunsicker, Stacie A.; Quinque, Maria M. // Education & Treatment of Children (ETC);Nov97, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p365
Compares two instructional strategies for teaching reading comprehension to fourth grade students. Information sources for reading a text based on the question answer relationship strategy; Procedures of a teacher-assisted and peer-assisted teaching strategy; Responses of students according to...
- Edition 4 Reading Skills Practice Test. // Scholastic News -- Senior Edition;03/27/2000, Vol. 68 Issue 21, p4A
Presents a reading comprehension test exercise for children.
- Reading in the content areas: Unlocking the secrets and making them work. Dunn, Jacqueline E. // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Oct2000, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p168
Presents an article on helping students understand and remember the information presented in their textbooks. Comprehension and information processing among students in reading textbooks; Development of a method called the check and line where students monitor their comprehension line by line.
- Reading the Pictures: A Missing Piece of the Literacy Puzzle. Teachout, Chad; Bright, April // YC: Young Children;Jul2007, Vol. 62 Issue 4, p106
The article offers learning strategy for storytellers that would help improve children's learning. Storytellers need to explain to the children that they can read the story even if they are not sure of what the print says. Then, teachers must choose a story that the class is familiar with, and...
- EXPLORING COMPUTER AND STORYBOOK INTERVENTIONS FOR CHILDREN WITH HIGH FUNCTIONING AUTISM. Armstrong, Teresa Kay; Hughes, Marie Tejero // International Journal of Special Education;2012, Vol. 27 Issue 3, p88
Comprehension is a crucial academic skill that is necessary for independent living. Unfortunately many children with autism often exhibit difficulties being able to interpret and comprehend written language. There is limited research on effective comprehension practices to enhance the...