Rhode Island Erases $697 Million Debt; Successful DEPCO to Close Shop
- Fleet to Pay $15.5M To Settle Claim in Decade-Old R.I. Crisis. Moyer, Liz // American Banker;1/4/2001, Vol. 166 Issue 3, p2
Reports on FleetBoston Financial Corp.'s agreement to pay a state agency millions of dollars to settle a claim that it contributed to the collapse of Rhode Island's banking system in the early 1990s. Amount of money paid to the Depositors Economic Protection Corp. to help restore uninsured...
- N.Y. Gov. Pataki Reducing Debt. McKaig, Ryan // Bond Buyer;12/21/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 31042, p2
Reports on New York State's plan to eliminate its high-cost state debt and increase pay-as-you-go funding.
- Window Of Opportunity. // Emerging Markets Monitor;3/10/2003, Vol. 8 Issue 45, p18
Reports on the finances of Lebanon in 2003. Implications of the release of net public sector debt of Lebanon; Public debt in 2002; Recommendations from the International Monetary Fund.
- NOTES AND COMMUNICATIONS. Maastricht, Beyond // De Economist (0013-063X);Dec2001, Vol. 149 Issue 4, p509
Examines the monitoring of the sustainability of public finances in the European Union countries. Indication of public debt; Identification of national budgetary policy; Importance of the distribution of income.
- GLOSSARY. // Treasury Bulletin;Sep2012, p108
A glossary of jargon related to public finance and debt is presented.
- Debts to history. // New Internationalist;May99, Issue 312, p26
Analyzes the rise of public debt in capitalist countries. Funding of the Crusades by merchants in European-city states; Repayment of loans in nation states; Borrowing of newly independent government in the Americas; Public increases resulting from the two European wars.
- Should We Pay Off Our National Debt? Nadler, Paul S. // Banking;Aug64, Vol. 57 Issue 2, p42
Discusses the importance of national debt. Role of fiscal policy; Information on how to pay off debt; Effects of national debts on deposits.
- Welsh NHS debts increase. Ward, Seamus // Public Finance;03/12/99, p9
Reports on the increase in public debts owed by the Welsh National Health Services. Total amount in debts incurred by Welsh NHS between 1997 and 1998; National Audit Office auditor general John Bourn's recommendation for the health service to reconsider its financial recovery plan.
- Agencies Skeptical of New Jersey Debt-Redemption Plan. Higginbotham, Stacey // Bond Buyer;08/16/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30955, p32
Reports that ratings agency analysts disagree on the impact that New Jersey's legislated debt-service retirement-fund will have on the state's rating. State's surplus for fiscal year 2000; New Jersey's approval of legislation authorizing school-construction bonds in compliance with the Abbott...