Miami-Dade mayor fires manager, cites weak oversight and scandals
- Alex Penelas. // People;11/15/99, Vol. 52 Issue 19, p104
Profiles Alex Penelas, the mayor of Miami-Dade County in Florida.
- Miami-Dade Mayor Wants to Place A Record $1.6B GO Bid on Ballot. // Bond Buyer;2/11/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31322, p3
Reports on proposals made by Miami-Dade County, Florida mayor Alex Penelas on general obligation bond referendum. List of projects that would be funded with the bond proceeds; Rating of the county by Standard & Poor's Corp.; Hurdles in the path of referendum.
- Panel Suggests Creation of Authority to Oversee Miami Airport. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;03/27/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30857, p36
Reports that Miami-Dade County Mayor Alex Penelas refused to create an independent authority to manage the Miami-Dade International Airport in Miami, Florida. Details of management changes at the airport according to observers' speculations; Proposals to revamp the airport's bond structure.
- Mayor Penelas proposes trimming Dade County, Fla., budget by $58 million. McEntee, Christopher // Bond Buyer;09/12/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30229, p7
Reports on the Dade County, Florida Mayor Alex Penelas' proposals on budget cuts. Savings associated with the proposals; Allocation of the funds; Exploration on the privatization of services; Staff reduction issues.
- Diverse Dade County elects its first mayor. Nielsen, Kirk // Christian Science Monitor;9/30/96, Vol. 88 Issue 214, p3
Focuses on the mayoral elections in Dade County, Florida, in which black Republican Arthur Teele, and Cuban-American Democrat Alex Penelas, were contestants. Background information on both men; Statistical information on the population in Dade County; Comments from Chris Warren, a political...
- MIA in focus. Whalen, Robert // Bond Buyer;11/15/99, Vol. 330 Issue 30768, p2A
Reports that Miami-Dade County, Florida commissioners held a special aviation workshop in response to Mayor Alex Penelas' request to fix spending and management problems at Miami International Airport (MIA). County's options at MIA.
- Miami-Dade expressway hikes tolls before vote. Whalen, Robert // Bond Buyer;07/09/99, Vol. 329 Issue 30679, p4
Focuses on the Miami-Dade County's vote on the proposals of Mayor Alex Penelas to increase of tolls along expressway authority roads. Financial preparations needed by the government; Goals of the proposed increase.
- 25 highest-paid city and county officials. Trower, Tanya // Inside Tucson Business;02/16/98, Vol. 7 Issue 47, p10
Lists the 24 highest-paid city and county officials in Tucson, Arizona in 1997 as ranked by current salary. Includes Charles Huckleberry, Pima County Administrator; Tucson City Manager Luis Gutierrez; Tucson Director of Finance Kay Gray.
- Big government salaries a bargain, top officials say. Rademacher, Kevin // Inside Tucson Business;02/16/98, Vol. 7 Issue 47, p11
Focuses on the salaries of officers in Pima County, Arizona which are considered as a bargain by the city and county officers. Presence of more earning opportunities in the private sector; Reasons given for officials' involvement in politics despite the low pay.