Forecasting Material Trends
- AUTOMOTIVE Materials and Processes. // Advanced Materials & Processes;Jun2001, Vol. 159 Issue 6, p45
Presents abstract of studies on automotive materials which were presented at the SAE World Congress in Detroit, Michigan on March 2001. `High Strength Steels for Automotive Safety Parts,' by D. Cornette et al; `Porous Aluminum Mold Materials: New Technology in Themoform Tool-Making,' by Scott...
- Dent Resistance of Aluminium and Magnesium Alloys. Peixinho, N.; Pinho, A. // Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers -- Part D;Sep2006, Vol. 220 Issue 9, p1191
This study presents results concerning the stiffness and denting resistance of 6111-T4 aluminium alloy and AZ31B-H24 magnesium alloy. Experimental results of dynamic denting are compared with numerical simulations performed using LS-DYNA software. The experimental tests were performed on 0.9 and...
- Weight watchers. Keenan, Tim; Winter, Drew // Ward's Auto World;Sep96, Vol. 32 Issue 9, p52
Focuses on the benefits of the increasing use of aluminum and magnesium in vehicles. Expected boost to aluminum poundage in the 1997 model year; Drop in the cost of making parts from aluminum; Magnesium applications in General Motors' EV1 electric cars; Significant aluminum applications coming...
- Aluminum wave could boost dent-repair policies. Henry, Jim // Automotive News;12/8/2014, Vol. 89 Issue 6650, p28
The article reports about the effect of the utilization of aluminum car body parts on the sales of paintless dent removal policies in the U.S.
- Temporary setback? CORBETT, BRIAN // Ward's Auto World;Jan99, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p57
Predicts the consumption increase of magnesium for automotive use purposes in 2020. Details on the prediction of Ford Motor Co.; Closure of a magnesium plant in the Gulf Coast; Details on magnesium production.
- Ford is working with aluminum. // Automotive Manufacturing & Production;Mar1998, Vol. 110 Issue 3, p22
Reports on Ford Motor Co.'s consideration of the use of aluminum in the manufacture of its cars, according to Richard Parry-Jones, group vice president of Product Development. Introduction of P2000 DIATA concept car; Issues in integration of aluminum in existing manufacturing process;...
- Skin deep. Winter, Drew // Ward's Auto World;Mar97, Vol. 33 Issue 3, p113
Discusses the use of plastics, steel, and aluminum on vehicle body panel in the United States. Domination of steel; Economic reasons for plastic's shortstanding dominance in late 1980s; Continued investments of plastic and aluminum producers; Growth in the use of aluminum; Assessment of the...
- A-Mays-ing space frame sets forum abuzz. Kisiel, Ralph // Automotive News;10/26/1998, Vol. 73 Issue 5790, p56
Reports on Ford Motor Co.'s response to an Alcoa aluminum space frame introduced at an aluminum industry forum and the company's plans to built an aluminum-intensive sport wagon. Design of the frame by Ford's J. Mays and Laurens van den Acker; Features of the Alcoa space frame.
- STEEL & ALUMINIUM. Tuzson, Paul // Street Machine;Jul2010, Vol. 30 Issue 7, p120
The article discusses the use of steel and aluminum for making modified cars in Australia. It says that the automobile industry seems to classify steels as high carbon, medium carbon or low carbon. According to the author, another common material used in modifying vehicles is stainless steel,...