A Qualcomm Spin For GSM
- Qualcomm's Chinese Fortune. Albright, Peggy // Wireless Week;06/05/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 23, p1
Looks at the efforts made by Qualcomm to be able to enter the Chinese telecommunication market through acquisition plans for China's United Telecommunications Corp. (Unicom). Initial public offering of Unicom; Purchase of the global system for mobile communication technology by customers in China.
- Un NATURAL selection. Laughlin, Kirk // America's Network;7/1/2002, Vol. 106 Issue 10, p38
Provides information on GSM-1x, a wireless standard from Qualcomm aimed at giving global system for mobile communication (GSM) operators a way to bridge to CDMA2000 radio access. Motive of Irwin Jacobs, chief executive of Qualcomm, to merge CDMA2000-1x radio with GSM core infrastructure;...
- Qualcomm trials GSM1x technology, but gives up on Europe as W-CDMA rolls on. Reynolds, Melanie // Electronics Weekly;11/20/2002, Issue 2077, p6
Presents information on the GSM1x technology from Qualcomm. Market potential of the technology in Europe; Problem with the use of asynchronous basestations; Use of wireless-code division multiple access in Europe; Data rate offered by GSM1x.
- A locked door. Wendelken, Sandra // Global Wireless;Nov/Dec2001, Vol. 4 Issue 6, p6
Comments on the attempts of Qualcomm Inc. to enter its code division multiple access (CDMA) technology into Europeean market. Intention of Qualcomm on investing money in a venture company called Inquam; Information on the purchase of Inquam of majority shares from Romanian operator Telemobil;...
- Qualcomm drops semiconductor spinoff. // RCR Wireless News;7/30/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 31, p18
Reports on the decision of Qualcomm Inc. to drop its spin off plan for its semiconductor business.
- Qualcomm Hangs Onto The Chips. Albright, Peggy // Wireless Week;7/30/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 31, p10
Reports on the decision of Qualcomm to cancel the spinoff of its its intellectual property rights business from the semiconductor business. Benefits of the spin off; Reasons for canceling the plan; Views of analysts on the reorganization of Qualcomm.
- Nortel, Qualcomm test UMTS voice and data at 1.9 GHz. // RCR Wireless News;10/14/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 41, p22
Reports on the successful test of a universal mobile telecommunications system (UMTS) voice and data call across commercial cell sites by Nortel Networks Ltd. and Qualcomm Inc. Features of the test; Significance of the test to the North American market; Completion of a UMTS-to-global system for...
- QUALCOMM TARGETS GSM WORLD WITH CDMA CRUSADE-AGAIN. Luna, Lynnette // Telephony;2/25/2002, Vol. 242 Issue 8, p23
Reports on a solution proposed by Qualcomm Corp. in February 2002 that allows GSM carriers to overlay a code division multiple access (CDMA) 1X air interface over their existing networks. Areas targeted by the CDMA 1X solution; Details of the application of CDMA 1X; Problems associated with the...
- Nokia, Qualcomm thrive on different business models. Carson, Phil // RCR Wireless News;6/19/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 25, p6
The article reports on the lawsuit filed by Qualcomm Inc. against Nokia Corp. on global system for mobile communications-related patents. In the 1990s Qualcomm had its own handset business, but sold it to Kyocera Wireless Corp. in late 1999 and saw a boost in its chipset business. The underlying...