RISK SUMMARY: SLOVAKIA
- SLOVAK REPUBLIC: Country Forecast: Political Framework. // Political Risk Yearbook: Slovak Republic Country Report;2006, p25
The article profiles the key players of Slovakia's politics and government as of November 2005. Prime Minister Mikulï¿½ Dzurinda aims to attract private foreign investment. Rï¿½bert Fico is the leader of the center-left Smer-Social Democracy, which is expected to be the front-runner in the...
- SMER In Firm Control. // Emerging Europe Monitor: Central Europe & Baltic States;May2007, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p9
The article highlights the success of the Smer political party in maintaining the control of the government and domestic political agenda in Slovakia since November 2006. A February 2007 poll revealed that the support for the party has increased to 46.7%. The increased support was a result of...
- Smer Set For Outright Win. // Emerging Europe Monitor: Central Europe & Baltic States;Mar2010, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p8
The article reports on the political outlook for Slovakia. It is expected that Prime Minister Robert Fico's centre-left Direction-Social Democracy (Smer) party will form the next Slovak government following 2010's parliamentary elections. Over the medium term, it is anticipated that the...
- Opposition puts new early elections case. Nicholsonova, Lucia // Slovak Spectator;03/26/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 12, p1
Reports on the proposal of opposition parties in Slovakia to move the parliamentary elections from September to June 2002. Reason cited by Robert Fico, leader of the non-parliamentary party Smer, for rescheduling the elections; Outcome of the election referendum held on November 11, 2000.
- Smooth First Months, But Frictions Possible. // Emerging Europe Monitor: Central Europe & Baltic States;Feb2007, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p1
The article discusses the efforts of former Slovakian Prime Minister Vladimir Meciar to widen the political influence of his Movement for a Democratic Slovakia (HZDS) party in response to its small representation in the coalition entity comprising the Slovak National Party (SNS) and Smer. Meciar...
- New parties crowd onto political stage. Domanovsky, Daniel // Slovak Spectator;01/31/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 4, p2
Deals with two political parties in Slovakia, the Direction Party of Minister of Parliament, Robert Fico, and the Party of the Democratic Centre of former ambassador Ivan Mjartan. Voter support for Direction Party; Ideals of the Democratic Centre Party; Relations of the two parties with...
- Slovakia: Smer Gets First Refusal. // Emerging Markets Monitor;6/26/2006, Vol. 12 Issue 12, p16
Discusses the political condition in Slovakia and its impact of the Slovakian economy. Result of the Slovakian parliamentary election on June 17, 2006; Political parties in the country; Economic plans of Robert Fico, leader of the political party Smer.
- Year in review: Race, raids, resignations. Togneri, Chris // Slovak Spectator;12/25/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 49, p1
Presents news briefs concerning politics and government in Slovakia as of December 2000. Proposed amendments to the Social Benefit Law made by Robert Fico, head of the non parliamentary party Smear; Launching of a petition drive to hold a national referendum on early parliamentary elections by...
- Slovakia's PM Fico survives no-confidence vote. // Regional Today;11/11/2014, p3
The article reports that Slovakian Prime Minister Robert Fico survived a no-confidence vote, an discusses the strategies of Fico's government.