Utah's Light-Rail Games
- Bonds May Be Issued to Finance Northern Virginia Rail Extension. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;02/22/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31082, p5
Reports on the possible use of municipal bonds to finance the proposed extension of the Washington D.C.-area Metro Rail system from West Falls Church, Virginia to the Dulles International Airport. Estimated cost of the project; Expected date of completion.
- State's anti-tax wave sinks light rail plan. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;2/20/95, Vol. 234 Issue 7, p23
Reports on the defeat of a light rail bond referendum in Clark County, Oregon. Opposition to sales and vehicle licensing tax which would have financed the rail line; Effect of anti-tax sentiment on Washington state's transportation privatization program and school construction; Voting for...
- Funding: Transit authorities have too much or too little. Kaplan, David // Bond Buyer;11/24/97, Vol. 322 Issue 30279, p34
Looks at emerging trends in the municipal bond market in the northeastern region in the United States as of November 24, 1997. Wide variation in financing offers for rapid transit systems throughout the state; Level of support from the public and lawmakers as important factors in the success of...
- Austin May Take Another Stab at Light-Rail Referendum. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;12/9/2009, Vol. 370 Issue 33230, p7
The article reports on the 600 million U.S. dollars bond election in Austin, Texas and the plan of the city to establish a light-rail system. It notes that Austin transportation director Robert Spillar will be discussing general obligation bonds, as part of the funding for the proposed...
- At Last, Dallas Voters Hand DART a Mass-Transit Mandate. Preston, Darrell // Bond Buyer;08/15/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30954, p3
Reports that Dallas, Texas area voters overwhelmingly endorsed Dallas Area Rapid Transit Authority's plan to issue up to $2.9 billion of bonds to speed up construction of its light-rail system. Sources of financing for the construction of a light-rail starter system in 1988; Issuance date for...
- Defying DeLay, Houston May Seek Private Pledges for Light Rail. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;06/22/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30918, p3
Reports that the Houston-Harris County Metropolitan Transit Authority is considering selling naming rights to stations along the route. Generation of enough revenue to back notes to fund the project; Consideration of whether the notes would be sold on a taxable or tax-exempt basis; Senator Tom...
- Kuala Lumpur builds two light-rail lines. Reina, Peter // ENR: Engineering News-Record;1/15/96, Vol. 236 Issue 2, p57
Reports on the construction of light-rail systems in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Opening of the first leg of the STAR light-rail system on February 1996; Start of construction of the Putra rail system.
- Light rail job running along. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;03/03/97, Vol. 238 Issue 9, p20
Reports on the efforts to make the completion deadline for a light rail system project in San Diego, California. Environmental requirements and site access restrictions hampering the construction's progress; Number of stations encompassing the project.
- Will light rail become hostage to union demands? // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;09/15/97, Vol. 27 Issue 12, p18
Anticipates the impact of the proposed light rail transit to Salt Lake City, Utah. Concern arising from the Bay Area Rapid Transit Strike in San Francisco, California; Risks of giving labor unions power to go on strike.