Development of Peripheral Opioid Antagonists: New Insights Into Opioid Effects
- Diagnosing and treating opioid dependence. Hill, Kevin P.; Rice, Lindsay S.; Connery, Hilary S.; Weiss, Roger D. // Journal of Family Practice;Oct2012, Vol. 61 Issue 10, p588
The article discusses ways in diagnosing and treating opioid dependence. It cites the case of a 48-year-old male who has gained considerable amount of weight and appeared to use opioids. It also discusses the steps in screening and diagnosing rapid misuse of opioids, and ways in assessing the...
- Risk factors for iatrogenic opioid dependence: An Australian perspective. Hartman, Hannah // Australian Medical Student Journal;2015, Vol. 6 Issue 2, p15
The prescription of opioids is increasing worldwide, including in Australia. Consequently, opioid dependence - one of several harms associated with chronic opioid therapy - is now a growing concern. However, the risk factors for iatrogenic opioid dependence are not well understood in an...
- Evaluation of naltrexone augmentation to the antipsychotic drugs on positive and negative symptoms of schizophrenia. Setareh, Javad; Hajati, Gholam Reza; Zarghami, Mehran; Alaedini, Farshid; Mirzadeh, Seyed Mohammad Mehdi // Journal of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences (JMUMS);2008, Vol. 18 Issue 66, p1
Background and Purpose: In recent years, review of opioid system and its changes in the psychopathology of schizophrenia through thear probable role our on neuronal synopses and cell body of dopaminergic neurons and also decrease dopamine secretion from acumbans nuclei and effects of opium...
- Cannabis use among opioid-dependent individuals on opioid substitution therapy. Balhara, Yatan Pal Singh; Jain, Raka // Journal of Pharmacology & Pharmacotherapeutics;Jul-Sep2014, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p203
The article explores the research findings which outlines the use for cannabis drug as an alternative medicine for treating patients with opioid dependence disorders. The research seeks alternative medicine aside from Buprenorphine for management of opioid dependence among patients. It also...
- Management of opioid addiction with buprenorphine: French history and current management. Poloméni, Pierre; Schwan, Raymund // International Journal of General Medicine;2014, Vol. 7, p143
The way in which opioid addiction is managed in France is unique, as it is based on the prescription of buprenorphine by general practitioners and is dispensed by retail pharmacies. This policy has had a direct, positive impact on the number of deaths caused by heroin overdose, which was reduced...
- Patients on Opioid Substitution Treatment in the Republic of Macedonia: What Do Treatment Demand Data Tell Us? Petrushevska, Tatjana; Stefanovska, Vesna Velik // Macedonian Journal of Medical Sciences;Jun 2014, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p335
AIM: The aim of the survey is to analyze national data from opioid substitution treatment (OST) medical records and to compare it with the data from EU countries. MATERIAL AND METHODS: The survey is quantitative analytical cross-sectional study conducted in the period September - December 2013....
- IOM Calls for Improvements in Palliative Care. Marwick, Charles // JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute;8/1/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 15, p1128
Describes a report that calls for improvements in palliative care for cancer patients in the U.S. System of reimbursement for health care; Importance of establishing institutions to study palliative care and symptom control.
- Advocates call for early integration of palliative care into cancer therapy. Owens, Colleen // Hem/Onc Today;11/10/2013, Vol. 14 Issue 21, p1
The article focuses on the calling from associations and physician advocates for early integration of palliative care into cancer therapy and mentions studies and guidelines released that show the benefits of its early integration to patients.
- Physical and psychosocial impact of xerostomia in palliative cancer care: a qualitative interview study. Rydholm, Margareta; Strang, Peter // International Journal of Palliative Nursing;Jul2002, Vol. 8 Issue 7, p318
Examines the psychological and social effects of xerostomia in palliative cancer care. Subjective discomfort; Loss of function; Increase in infection. INSETS: Box 1. The interview guide;KEY WORDS.