- Fog Nozzle Training: Are We Creating a Hazardous Impression? WALKER, MICHAEL L. // Fire Engineering;Oct2010, Vol. 163 Issue 10, p109
In this article the author examines the effectiveness of the Right for Reach/Left for Life tactic to protect firefighters caught in a flashover. The origin of the Left for Life theory derives from several sources, including liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) or flammable liquid and gas (FLAG)...
- Detective Story. Routley, J. Gordon // Fire Chief;Nov2005, Vol. 49 Issue 11, p26
The article reports that investigations of deaths, injuries and near-misses are essential to improving firefighter safety in the United States. The investigation is a vital part of the process that allows firefighters to learn from each negative experience, then identify and implement the...
- The future of firefighter safety? // Fire;Nov2015, Vol. 111 Issue 1383, p5
The article discusses this periodical's Congress on the Future of Firefighter Safety which was held in London, England on October 9, 2015, featuring topics on firefighters safety including firefighting in the 21st century; standards and harmonisation, and understanding the built environment.
- The Sheer Exhausting Nature of the Job. Chaplin, Kristine // Minnesota Fire Chief;Nov/Dec2008, Vol. 45 Issue 2, p26
The article features the first State Fire Safety Academy sponsored by the Minnesota State Fire Marshal Division held in October 2008. The two-day event provided civilians in public safety and government leadership positions with an understanding of the typical challenges faced by Minnesota's...
- Editor's Opinion: HAPPY 2,000TH BIRTHDAY. Halton, Bobby // Fire Engineering;Aug2006, Vol. 159 Issue 8, p8
The author focuses on the evolution of fireground safety in the U.S. from 6 A.D. to the year 2006. The challenges facing thinking officers and firefighters include fuels and fuel loads that have the ability to overwhelm and destroy attack teams that advance ahead of ventilation efforts....
- Raising the Bar: Fire Prevention and Emergency Preparedness Programs Go Hand-in-Hand. Olson, John // Minnesota Fire Chief;Sep/Oct2007, Vol. 44 Issue 1, p18
The article presents a guideline for fire fighters in Minnesota on of developing a culture of emergency preparedness throughout the state. It is important to stress that local citizens to take personal responsibility in developing a so-called all hazard plan for their family. Existing tools used...
- What Do Firefighters Do? // Weekly Reader - Pre K;Oct2003, p2
Presents a teacher's guide to fire safety lessons. INSET: Stay Safe in a Fire.
- Stay Safe from Fire. // Weekly Reader - Pre K;Oct2003, p4
Presents a teacher's guide to fire safety lessons.
- Yarnell's fallen. CARSWELL, CALLY // High Country News;7/22/2013, Vol. 45 Issue 12, p3
The article focuses on several changes brought in safety protocols including standardization of escape routes, fire-resistant uniforms, and fire shelters due to occurrence of wildfire in the U.S.