Evaluation is Key to Penning Success Story
- Horatio Alger: Creator of the American... // American History Illustrated;Oct87, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p36
Horatio Alger, Jr. (1832-1899) was America's best-selling author of `rags-to-riches' stories in the nineteenth century. A profile of the Harvard intellectual whose one hundred novels have slowly been forgotten. by J. Gustaitis
- Horatio Alger: Creator of the American... Gustaitis, J. // American History Illustrated;Oct87, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p36
Horatio Alger, Jr. (1832-1899) was America's best-selling author of `rags-to-riches' stories in the nineteenth century. A profile of the Harvard intellectual whose one hundred novels have slowly been forgotten.
- 1868. // American Heritage;May/Jun93, Vol. 44 Issue 3, p104
Recollects that, in May of 1868, Horatio Alger's tales of a pious, lucky newsboy named Ragged Dick were published together by Boston publisher, A.K. Loring. Would write at least 119 more stories about scrupulously strong boys; `Do and Dare'; `Facing the World'; `Risen from the Ranks'; Alger's...
- Haratio Alger, too??!! // Advocate;3/1/72, Issue 80, p4
Reports on the claims that church minister Horatio Alger was a pervert in the U.S. Historian Richard M. Huber's research on the pederasty practice of Alger; Alger's decision to quit the Unitarian church in the 1860's; Number of books published by Alger.
- Harvard Odes. Alger, Horatio // Grand'ther Baldwin's Thanksgiving with Other Ballads & Poems;3/1/2006, p32
Presents four untitled poems by Horatio Alger. 1) First Line: Fair Harvard, dear guide of our youth's golden days; Last Line: Shall in loyal devotion unite. 2) First Line: As we meet in thy name, Alma Mater, to-night, Last Line: And thou bad'st us God-speed and Farewell. 3) First Line: Fair...
- HORATIO ON THE SHELF. Engels, Norbert // America;1/15/1944, Vol. 70 Issue 15, p409
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experiences in reading books written by Horatio Alger.
- Rags to riches: The trail steepens. // U.S. News & World Report;11/14/94, Vol. 117 Issue 19, p31
Comments on Horatio Alger, whose 135 books stressed the idea that a bright, self-reliant youngster can advance from rags to riches with hard work. Survey of highly successful entrepreneurs which suggests that Alger's rule is now being severely tested; Findings on childhoods, long hours,...
- Adrift in New York. Alger Jr., Horatio // Plays - The Drama Magazine for Young People;Apr98, Vol. 57 Issue 6, p11
The article presents the script for the children's play "Adrift in New York," by Horatio Alger Jr.
- DATE BOOK: January. // Yankee;Jan/Feb2011, Vol. 75 Issue 1, p32
The article presents information on various events that has happened in the past in January and calendar of events that are scheduled for the month of January 2011 in Massachusetts. Novelist famous for his inspiring stories, Horatio Alger was born in Chelsea, Massachusetts on January 13, 1832....