- Smart Airbag Protects Firefighters. // Popular Mechanics;Oct2003, Vol. 180 Issue 10, p22
Traffic accidents are the second-leading cause of death among firefighters, and more than half of those accidents involve rollovers. The Side Roll Protection System from Pierce Manufacturing of Appleton, Wisconsin, aims to reduce that statistic by cushioning firefighters should their truck roll...
- Tragedy on rural road. // Alberta Sweetgrass;Sep2004, Vol. 11 Issue 10, p4
Reports on the death of two forest fire fighters from the Woodland Cree First Nation after colliding with a semi-tractor trailer on a gravel highway near Peace River in Alberta, on September 2, 2004. Information on the fire fighters who were on their way to a firefighting camp hear Haig Lake;...
- Auto extrication training using old and new cars. Robinson, Rob // Fire Engineering;Dec96, Vol. 149 Issue 12, p16
Features guidelines for firefighters during auto extrication using old and new cars. Folding the roof to the rear; Cutting door hinges on newer cars; Effectiveness of putting the dash with the ram or spreader with new cars.
- Drivers pose danger to police, firefighters. Rupkalvis, David // Graham Leader;1/29/2012, Vol. 136 Issue 48, p1A
The article discusses how rubbernecking or wanting to see what is happening at an accident scene poses danger to the police and firefighters who control traffic.
- Firemen have close call at accident. // Clarendon Enterprise (TX);2/10/2011, Vol. 22 Issue 9, p1
The article reports on the survival of four firemen from injury or death during the rescue of the traffic accident in Clarendon, Texas, where the volunteers include Michael Newhouse, Chris Wilson, and Jackie Bell.
- On-Duty Deaths Rise 11% Last Year. // Fire Chief;Feb2004, Vol. 48 Issue 2, p13
Presents the findings of the U.S. Fire Administration's study about firefighters' death in 2003. Number of on-duty firefighter fatalities; Fatalities related to emergency duty; Heart attacks; Vehicle accident.
- DRIVER ENTRAPPED IN TRACTOR-TRAILER. Reynolds, John P. // Fire Engineering;Nov2001, Vol. 154 Issue 11, p10
Reports the entrapment of a driver on a tractor-trailer in Elmsford, New York. Response of the Elmsford Fire Department to the accident scene; Equipment used in the rescue operation; Details on the rescue work.
- Near-Miss Reporting System posts 2,000th report. // Fire Engineering;Jan2009, Vol. 162 Issue 1, p58
The article reports on the Near-Miss Reporting System of the National Fire Fighter. The 2,000th report was posted to the Web site in October 2008 documenting a highway incident where the outcome allegedly turned out favorable. The crews reportedly avoided injury because it maintained awareness...
- O'Fallon man killed when truck slams into fire truck. Korando, Russell // St. Charles Journal;12/7/2011, Vol. 46 Issue 84, pA2
The article reports that an O'Fallon, Missouri resident Chad E. Zaiz was killed after his pickup truck slammed to a Central County Fire and Rescue ladder truck on December 1, 2011, which also harmed five firefighters that includes Matt Aubuchon and Daniel Duke.