USFA Releases Fatalities Report
- USFA releases report on 2007 firefighter LODDs. // Fire Engineering;Oct2008, Vol. 161 Issue 10, p56
The article highlights a report from the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) on firefighter fatalities in the U.S. in 2007. The USFA study reportedly accounts that 68 volunteers and 50 career firefighters died while on duty. It also notes that 27 firefighter line-of-duty deaths (LODD) resulted from...
- Firemen have close call at accident. // Clarendon Enterprise (TX);2/10/2011, Vol. 22 Issue 9, p1
The article reports on the survival of four firemen from injury or death during the rescue of the traffic accident in Clarendon, Texas, where the volunteers include Michael Newhouse, Chris Wilson, and Jackie Bell.
- NVFC offers training grants. // Fire Engineering;Mar1996, Vol. 149 Issue 3, p37
Reports that the National Volunteer Fire Council Foundation is offering grants to county, local and regional fire schools. Format of training.
- Texans On the Fire Line. Maccrossan, Gerard // Fiscal Notes;Nov2011, p10
The article focuses on the firefighting and fire prevention efforts in Texas in 2011. It notes the fire at Possum Kingdom in Palo Pinto County which charred more than 126,000 acres involving 160 homes and two churches. It also indicates that most of firefighters who risk their lives to protect...
- Chapter 9: A New Tradition: Fire-Fighting Sisters. Sanna, Ellyn // Firefighters' Folklore;2003, p80
In 1851, the fire alarm sounded through the streets of San Francisco, California. Volunteers for Knickerbocker Co. No. 5 dashed to the fire station and began to lug the engine to the scene of the fire. Unfortunately, not enough men had turned out to carry the heavy fire engine. As the men...
- ENTERTAINING INSTRUCTION. Steel, Luke // Fire Engineering;Jul2003, Vol. 156 Issue 7, p10
Focuses on teaching volunteer fire fighters in the U.S. Cooperativeness of firefighting students; Interest in learning; Author's experience in attending and teaching firefighting classes.
- Volunteers Corner: PUMP OPERATOR TRAINING SIMULATOR. Molenaar, Brian; Dennis, Chris // Fire Engineering;Oct2006, Vol. 159 Issue 10, p12
The article provides information on the introduction of the curriculum for pump operator training simulator in Wisconsin. The curriculum has required students to spend considerable time developing pumping skills for the practical skills evaluation in addition to the classroom instruction. The...
- The consequences of self-deployment. Ketterhagen, Kim L. // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jul/Aug2011, Vol. 47 Issue 6, p38
The article addresses the consequences of self-deployments in firefighting. A person or agency responding without a formal request is considered to be freelancing and acting as a volunteer. Freelancers are not covered by the federal Public Safety Officers' Benefits program (PSOB), state or local...
- Sizing Up for Structure Fires. Wilkinson, Sean // Fire Engineering;Jul2012, Vol. 165 Issue 7, p12
The article offers the author's insights regarding the responsibilities of volunteer firefighters. He says that they respond from work, home and their private lives to do their duties. He states that in practice training or on fire ground, they precede the important aspect of incident. He adds...