- PROMOTION TO OFFICER: THE RIGHTS YOU LOSE. Lowe, Bill; Bolton, Bill // Fire Engineering;Jul2002, Vol. 155 Issue 7, p81
Assesses the rights lose by firefighters by waving officer proportion. Attitude towards unethical conduct of subordinates; Communication of specific concerns; Distinction of attitude toward coworkers.
- FACING THE PROMOTIONAL INTERVIEW: FIRST IMPRESSIONS. Mittendorf, John W. // Fire Engineering;Jul2003, Vol. 156 Issue 7, p75
Discusses the factors that must be considered and given importance by fire fighters in the U.S. when facing the promotional interview. Resume and cover letter; Clothes and appearance; Handshake; Seating position.
- Undue influence. Stittleburg, Philip C. // Fire Chief;Jul2003, Vol. 47 Issue 7, p14
Discusses a legal case on the evaluation of union fire fighters as candidates for promotion in Elk Grove, Illinois. Scores of the fire fighters on the promotional exam; Criteria used in evaluating the candidates; Establishment of a retaliation claim under the First Amendment.
- A new leader. // Graham Leader;8/14/2011, Vol. 135 Issue 104, p3
The article announces that Cole Epperson was promoted lieutenant at Graham Fire Rescue in Graham, Texas.
- Minneapolis bias charges lead to promotion of eleven black firefighters. // Jet;10/10/94, Vol. 86 Issue 23, p19
Reports on the promotion of 11 black firefighters to the rank of captain in Minneapolis, Minnesota to settle claims that the fire department's promotions policy is biased. Firefighters union's lawsuit to block the move; Move's violation of seniority privileges.
- FIREFIGHTER BROTHERS PROMOTED TO CAPTAIN. // Jet;4/23/2007, Vol. 111 Issue 16, p31
This caption accompanies a photograph of Atlantic City, New Jersey brothers and firefighters Keith, Edward and Harold Coursey. In April of 2007, the brothers became the first three African-American siblings to all be promoted to the rank of captain on the same day. The brothers are pictured with...
- Implementing health and fitness programs for firefighters. Pynes, Joan E. // Public Personnel Management;Summer96, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p237
Summarizes the issues that local government should review prior to implementing health and fitness program for firefighters. Emphasis on health promotion; Medical screening; Departments' assistance in making exercise resources available to officers; Cost associated with the development and...
- Prayer vigil on Canal Street. Boyd, Herb // New York Amsterdam News;9/20/2001, Vol. 92 Issue 38, p3
Reports a prayer vigil for missing persons in New York, New York after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. Role of Reverend Al Sharpton in the vigil; Administration of libations during the vigil; Conduct of a promotion ceremony for firefighters.
- 'SELF-RESCUE': A HEALTHFUL PERSPECTIVE. Perry, Shawn // Fire Engineering;Sep2000, Vol. 153 Issue 9, p64
Offers tips in improving the quality and quantity of life of fire fighters. Importance of a complete medical check-up; Criteria in choosing a bona fide fitness expert; Development of an action plan.