Ask the Biologist
- Find The Big Bucks Now! Robb, Bob // Whitetail Journal;Apr2003, p8
Focuses on the preparations needed for the hunting season of whitetailed deer during autumn. Assessment of the location of a good hunting site; Reliable way to pinpoint the whereabouts of a deer; Equipment needed to scout a hunting location.
- Whitetails Overrun Kansas Highways. Hendricks, Bryan // Outdoor Life;Mar2000, Vol. 205 Issue 2, p95
Focuses on the problems presented by the increasing whitetail deer population to motorists in Kansas. Comparison on the number of deer and vehicle accidents in 1998 and 1989; Number of people who died due to collisions of deer and vehicle; Implication of the increase in the speed limit in the...
- The Winds of Change. Claypool, Eddie // Bowhunter;2003 Whitetail Special, p94
This article focuses on the white-tailed deer hunting expeditions of the author in several months of the fall season. To take whitetail deer throughout the fall, a bowhunter must change along with the seasons. As a youngster, the author remembers how this change of seasons always lit a burning...
- We're here, we're deer; get used to it. Cosh, Colby // Report / Newsmagazine (National Edition);12/2/2002, Vol. 29 Issue 23, p5
Focuses on the interaction between wildlife and humans in suburban and urban environments. Problems which have been caused by white-tailed deer, including spreading disease and causing automobile accidents; Belief that a surplus of deer has harmed forest ecology; Thoughts on whether hunters...
- #DEERPOCALYPSE. KETTLEWELL, CAROLINE // Virginia Living;Dec2015, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p23
The article discusses increasing problems from growing population of white-tailed deer in the U.S. after declaring it an endangered species including collisions with cars and automobiles as they are leaping in front of vehicles; threat to forest habitats; and Virginia Deer Management Plan.
- On Watch. Raykovicz, Mike // New York State Conservationist;Oct2005, Vol. 60 Issue 2, p32
Presents an article on spending a day at the forest hunting for whitetail deer on a late autumn season. Challenges faced in hunting during autumn; Birds seen during a day at the forest: Bird sound that entertained him during a long day in the woods.
- Szechuan rotten eggs repel deer. Damsker, Matt // Organic Gardening (08973792);Jul/Aug92, Vol. 39 Issue 6, p20
Discusses a report from `The Avant Gardener' on the protection against white-tailed deer. Methods used include fences, bars of soap hung on trees, flashing lights, and more; Also very effective are products made from putrescent egg solids and hot sauce made from chile peppers. Home remedies; More.
- Deer mannagement 1997. Samuel, Dave // Bowhunter;Oct/Nov97 Special Issue, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p42
Presents information on the 1997 quality management techniques for hunting and hunters of the white-tailed deer. Problems facing deers in urban areas; Details on the concepts of Quality Deer Management (QDM); Details on the findings of a research project which examined the biology, habitat and...
- The bowhunter's guide to aging deer. Wensel, Gene // Bowhunter;Oct/Nov97 Special Issue, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p64
Provides information from an experienced deer hunter on three ways to age whitetails. How selective hunting improves the health of deer herds; How to study the condition of theet using a jawbone board; Detailed information on other ways to age deers.