- LIVE ISSUE/MAGAZINE DISTRIBUTION. Watts, Jenny // Campaign;09/01/2000, Issue 35, p23
Reports on supermarket giant Tesco's decision to reconsider proposals making WH Smith its sole supplier of magazines. Impact of the decision on the Periodical Publishers Association; Potential ramifications for advertisers.
- INTERNATIONAL NEWS. // Book Publishing Report;4/22/2002, Vol. 27 Issue 16, p7
Reports developments related to book publishing in Great Britain as of April 2002. Increase in the book sales of W.H. Smith; Plan of Tesco PLC to stock books in Esso gas station stores; Acquisition of Rough Guides by Penguin.
- W.H. Smith Gives Book Fair Something To Buzz About. // Book Publishing Report;3/17/2003, Vol. 28 Issue 11, p4
Reports on the announcement of book publisher W.H. Smith (WHS) that it had teamed up with private equity firm Cinven Ltd. to bid on the AOL-Time Warner Book Group. Implication of the merger on WHS ; Plan of Hodder Headline Trade Publishing, a books division of WHS to distribute books in the U.S.
- Threat to independents from supply revolution. Higham, Nick // Marketing Week;8/17/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 29, p17
Focuses on WH Smith Inc. and Tesco PLC's teamup to improve magazine distribution in Great Britain. Distribution system set by WHS; Reasons of newspaper and magazine publishers for opposing WHS and Tesco's plan; Impact of the move on magazine circulation.
- Tesco deal jeopardises newsagents. Dignam, Conor // Marketing (00253650);8/10/2000, p5
Reports on the threat posed by the plans of Tesco for an exclusive national distribution deal with WH Smith to small independent newsagents in Great Britain. Possible closure faced by newsagents upon the completion of the Tesco-WH Smith deal; Details of the report entitled `The Impact of...
- INTERNATIONAL NEWS. // Book Publishing Report;2/11/2002, Vol. 27 Issue 6, p7
Presents news items related to publishers as of February 11, 2001. Plan of W.H. Smith Ltd. to bypass the returns authorization process; Change of position of Judith Elliott at Orion Children's Books; Appointment of three managers to Hodder & Stroughton's sales and marketing departments.
- WH Smith--A Year of Change Ahead. Doran, Amanda-Jane // Publishers Weekly;5/14/2001, Vol. 248 Issue 20, p22
Provides information on the management and financial condition of WH Smith, an international retail publishing group based in Great Britain, for a fiscal year that ended in April 2001. Disputes within the magazine and newspaper distribution division of the company; Sales performance of the...
- Can WH Smith shed its jack of all trades tag? Solley, Sam // Marketing (00253650);10/2/2003, p13
Once popular in the Great Britain book trade, publisher WH Smith Inc. is facing adverse business cycles in recent years, the victim of competition from supermarkets and specialist retailers. Like-for-like sales declined by 4%, book sales were down by 3%, news and express were down by 2% and...
- Check out the retail alternative. Talbot, Martin // Music Week;5/1/2004, Issue 17, p14
Editorial. Focuses on the importance of smaller, independent retailers to the sound recording industry in Great Britain. Mass appeal of supermarkets as retailer of sound recordings; Comparison of sales performance of Tesco and WH Smith; Role of independent retailers in helping nurture new,...