ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT: AN ANALYSIS OF THE OREGON SUPREME COURT'S FREE SPEECH JURISPRUDENCE IN THE POST-LINDE YEARS
- GAY JUSTICE UNDER ATTACK. Radosta, Jim // Just Out;4/16/2004, Vol. 21 Issue 12, p13
Reports that anti-gay attorney James Leuenberger is running against Oregon Supreme Court justice Rives Kistler in Oregon. Educational background of Kistler; Representation of Oregon Citizens Alliance chairman Lon Mabon by Leuenberger; Demonstration staged by reverend Fred Phelps against Kistler.
- Judging Virginia Linder. Turteltaub, Jack // Just Out;7/21/2006, Vol. 23 Issue 18, p15
The article discusses the aim of lesbian judge Virginia Linder to become the first woman to join the Oregon Supreme Court. If elected, Linder will be the first out lesbian to serve on the high court. Linder has been serving the Oregon Court of Appeals for nine years. She will compete against...
- Teacher-friendly law ruled unconstitutional. // Curriculum Review;Mar1995, Vol. 34 Issue 7, p4
Reports on the unconstitutionality of a Montana state law violating freedom of speech as decided by a municipal judge. Background of the state law; Overruling of a teacher's charges on a student's obscene insult.
- A federal appeals court. MacLachlan, Suzanne; Mutch, David // Christian Science Monitor;6/14/95, Vol. 87 Issue 139, p2
Reports a June 1995 ruling by a federal appeals court asking the FBI to release documents of its investigation into the 1960s free-speech movement.
- Testing free speech. Stewart, David O. // ABA Journal;Sep94, Vol. 80 Issue 9, p44
Discusses several US Supreme Court cases involving the issue of freedom of speech in the United States. Aims of Supreme Court in applying the first amendment; Implications of rulings on cases.
- Free speech in the new downtowns. Podgers, James // ABA Journal;Apr95, Vol. 81 Issue 4, p54
Discusses the cases `New Jersey Coalition Against War in the Middle East v. J.M.B. Realty Corp' and `Air Line Pilots Association, International v. Department of Aviation of the City of Chicago,' which concerns the First Amendment. Facts and issues in the cases.
- Recent cases. Angstreich, Scott H. // Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy;Winter96, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p634
Reports on the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit decision on the case Yniguez v. Arizonans for Official English. Violation of the First Amendment's Free Speech Clause; Case precedents; Move towards establishing English as the official language of the United States.
- Humor in freedom of expression decisions. Hale, F. Dennis // Editor & Publisher;10/19/96, Vol. 129 Issue 42, p64
Provides insights on several court cases involving freedom of speech. Author's amusement on the basic facts of speech cases; Cases with a sex angle; Landmark libel decision.
- The shifting sands of free speech. Savage, David G. // ABA Journal;Dec96, Vol. 82 Issue 12, p42
Discusses the Supreme Court's rulings in several First Amendment cases. `Colorado Republican Federal Campaign Committee v. Federal Election Commission'; `Buckley v. Valeo'; `44 Liquormart Inc. v. Rhode Island.'