Preparedness remains a distant dream
- ON TARGET? Taylor, Scott // Esprit de Corps;Apr2013, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p3
The article reports that budget cuts hit Canadian defense sector. As the Conservatives seeking to trim the sector's spending, the Department of National Defence appears to be the government's primary target. It states that the Army is anticipating at an estimated 22 percent reduction, while the...
- A POTENTIAL TREND. Rubin, Claire B.; Hubbard, Jessica // Emergency Management;Jan/Feb2012, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p30
The article discusses factors in assessing and devising U.S.-wide disaster trends for 2012 including costs, changes in emergency management policies and programs, and national risk assessment priority.
- $1-billion defence cut proposed. // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;11/14/94, Vol. 21 Issue 48, p50
Announces that the parliamentary committee studying Canada's military recommended in November 1994 that $1 billion be cut from the Department of National Defence's $11.5-billion budget in three years. Who will bear the brunt of the cuts.
- India: For Disaster Struck Odiya Women, The Struggles Are Unending. Lahangir, Sarada // Women's Feature Service;8/18/2014, p1
The article focuses on challenges faced by Odiya women in the Orissa state of India, due to man-made and natural disasters like floods, droughts and cyclones, and also reflects on state government's disaster management policy for them. It also presents a brief account of problems of three odiya...
- Science-policy interface for disaster risk management in India: toward an enabling environment. Patra, Jyotiraj; Kantariya, Komal // Current Science (00113891);7/10/2014, Vol. 107 Issue 1, p39
The 2013 Uttarakhand floods highlighted the enormous challenges faced by disaster risk management organizations and actors who had to deal with it on a real-time basis. Unusual and extreme rainfalls accompanied by a series of cloudbursts triggered the flooding. In recent times there has been a...
- Coping With Catastrophe. Romano, Andrew // Newsweek (Atlantic Edition);9/19/2005 (Atlantic Edition), Vol. 146 Issue 12, p28
Presents a chart reviewing natural disasters that have occurred in the United States in the past century. Comparison of each disaster's recovery effort to the Hurricane Katrina recovery effort; Chart includes the Galveston Hurricane in Texas in 1900, the San Francisco Earthquake of 1906,...
- The Canadian Intelligence Community After 9/11. Fyffe, Greg // Journal of Military & Strategic Studies;Spring2011, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p1
The article focuses on the developments in the Canadian intelligence community after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in New York City. It notes that the country's intelligence community gained substantial new resources and revised mandate, as well as the modification of institutional...
- Spotlight sar. Proctor, Paul // Aviation Week & Space Technology;11/24/1997, Vol. 147 Issue 21, p13
Focuses on the development of the Spotlight synthetic aperture radar system by Canada's National Defense Department. Use of imaging radar; Testing in flight operations; Design details.
- A trial in decentralized decision-making. Charlebois, Rick // CMA Magazine;Jun92, Vol. 66 Issue 5, p8
Investigates the feasibility of increased decentralized decision-making towards better management in Canada's Department of National Defense. Background on the project called Base Level Delegaton of Authority and Accountability Trial; Aim of the project; Lessons learned from the project; How...