Switching swine for simulators: At what cost?
- Heart of A Pig. Bruning, Karla // Newsweek (Atlantic Edition);10/30/2006 (Atlantic Edition), Vol. 148 Issue 18, p11
This article offers information on the medical progress of using pig parts for the betterment of human health. Doctors may be a step closer to putting pig parts, such as hearts, kidneys, and livers into humans. Researchers at Revivicor have knocked out a pig gene that triggers an immune response...
- YOUR VERDICT. // New Internationalist;Sep2011, Issue 445, p37
Several answers are presented to a question about the ethical aspects of animal testing in medical research.
- Letter to the Editor. Greek, Ray // Theoretical Medicine & Bioethics;Oct2014, Vol. 35 Issue 5, p389
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the articles in the April 2014 issue about the use of nonhuman animals in biomedical research.
- The pig as an experimental model for clinical craniofacial research. Štembírek, J.; Kyllar, M.; Putnová, I.; Stehlík, L.; Buchtová, M. // Laboratory Animals;Oct2012, Vol. 46 Issue 4, p269
The pig represents a useful, large experimental model for biomedical research. Recently, it has been used in different areas of biomedical research. The aim of this study was to review the basic anatomical structures of the head region in the pig in relation to their use in current research....
- science and self-doubt. Goodwin, Frederick K.; Morrison, Adrian R. // Reason;Oct2000, Vol. 32 Issue 5, p22
Comments on the use of animals in biomedical research. Proposal of scientists to strengthen the standards and regulation of animal research and care; Comparison between animal rights activists and animal welfare organizations; Significance of using animals in biomedical research.
- UK senior scientists support animal genetic modification. Eaton, Lynn // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);06/09/2001, Vol. 322 Issue 7299, p1382
Reports on the support issued by the Royal Society, one of the United Kingdom's leading scientific bodies, over animal genetic modification. Provisions for such research, including that suffering for such animals be minimized; Role such animals play in the understanding of human disease and in...
- Counterpoint: Animal Experimentation is a Necessary Scientific Tool. Crawford, Katherine // Australia Points of View: Animal Experimentation;2016, p3
The article presents an argument for animal experimentation. It is the author's opinion that medical and technological research would suffer due to a ban on animal testing. Codes of practice, standards of care, and legislation governing the use of animals in scientific experiments in Australia...
- One of two Russian. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;1/13/1997, Vol. 146 Issue 2, p359
Reports one of two Russian research monkeys that were flown aboard the Bion 11 Vostok spacecraft died one day after returning to Earth January 7, 1997. The monkey's death reigniting the controversy over animals in space; The monkeys being in good condition upon return.
- Medicine and the ethics of animal experimentation. Frey, R.G. // World & I;Apr95, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p358
Comments on the ethical problem raised by the justification of using animals for the search of health-care benefits for humans. Justification for animal experimentation; Question on the comparative value of human and animal life; Killing and the value of life; Quality of human life.