Nuclear Power Plants--Double-Edged Swords
- � of U.S. nuclear plants leak radiation. Etnier, Carl // Adirondack Daily Enterprise;3/26/2010, Vol. 117 Issue 73, p4
In this article the author comments on the impact of the nuclear plants leak radiation in the U.S.
- Radiation risks. Darby, Sarah // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);10/16/99, Vol. 319 Issue 7216, p1019
Discusses radiation risks from nuclear power plants. Public mistrust on nuclear power; Epidemiology of nuclear radiation exposures; Advantages and disadvantages of nuclear radiation.
- New work on the benefits of environmental regulation: Discussion. Opaluch, James J. // American Journal of Agricultural Economics;Dec93, Vol. 75 Issue 5, p1283
Discusses the value of using comparison approach on the issue of environmental regulations on nuclear power. Basis of thought process on the benefits of two alternatives; Untenability of public perceptions to expert assessments.
- Interagency radiation emergency plan. // Disasters: Preparedness & Mitigation in the Americas;Oct2010, Issue 114, p10
The article offers information on the third edition of the "Joint Radiation Emergency Management Plan of the International Organization."
- Elevated Childhood Cancer Incidence Proximate to U.S. Nuclear Power Plants. Mangano, Joseph J.; Sherman, Janette; Chang, Carolyn; Dave, Amie; Feinberg, Elyssa; Frimer, Marina // Archives of Environmental Health;Feb2003, Vol. 58 Issue 2, p74
Numerous reports document elevated cancer rates among children living near nuclear facilities in various nations. Little research has examined U.S. rates near the nation's 103 operating reactors. This article presents a study which determined that cancer incidence for children less than 10 years...
- Nuclear advice. // New Scientist;11/10/90, Vol. 128 Issue 1742, p19
Presents recommendations by Britain's National Radiological Protection Board that in the case of a nuclear emergency, countermeasures should include sheltering and the use of iodate tablets.
- Innovate or regulate? Brooks, Robert // Foundry Management & Technology;Apr2011, Vol. 139 Issue 4, p2
The article discusses the issue on whether to continue to innovate or regulate developments given the uncertainty of when natural disasters will struck and the vulnerability of human beings to such catastrophes. It mentions on the catastrophic earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan on Marh 11,...
- Controversy Over Nuclear Reactor Safety. // Congressional Digest;Feb77, Vol. 56 Issue 2, p34
Focuses on the controversy surrounding the safety of nuclear power plants in the U.S. Risks involved in the use of fission energy cited by opponents of nuclear power; Arguments raised by the opponents of the fission energy; Overview of the controversy on the use of nuclear energy.
- Interview: Najmedin Meshkati. // New Scientist;7/14/2007, Vol. 195 Issue 2612, p46
An interview with nuclear safety scientist Najmedin Meshkati is presented. When asked why he chose his field, he says the accident at the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant changed the focus of his studies. After visiting the site of the nuclear reactor disaster in Chernobyl, Russia, he said...