Action Sports Retail Gets a Fresh Look
- Sporting Goods: Dick's now tops in specialty sports. Nolan, Kelly // Retailing Today;8/7/2006, Vol. 45 Issue 14, p34
The article reports on the success of Dick's Sporting Goods in becoming the top market share leader for specialty sporting goods retailers in 2005 in the U.S. The company is planning to increase its store base from 255 stores as of year-end 2005. Its broad mix of merchandise and store setup have...
- GUNNING FOR GOOD SERVICE. // SGB;Summer2005 Supplement, Vol. 38, p4
The article discusses the author's experience of hunting for the first time in 15 years. He recalls shopping at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania based Dick's Sporting Goods to purchase a Mossberg 500 shotgun hunting package, complete with accessories. At another store, he purchased a scope and O-rings...
- Pristine stores and competitive pricing raise regional to the major leagues. Troy, Mike // DSN Retailing Today;9/8/2003, Vol. 42 Issue 17, p42
Focuses on the business performance of Dick's Sporting Goods Inc. in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Level of competitive advantage; Assessment on the revenue growth of the firm; Number of dealers.
- DICKS PROFIT UP. Sammon, Lindsay E. // FN: Footwear News;5/28/2007, Vol. 63 Issue 21, p62
The article reports on the financial performance of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based Dicks Sporting Goods for the first quarter of 2007. Net income in the quarter increased $21.7 million, compared with $11.4 in 2006. According to chairman and chief executive Edward Stack, he was pleased with the...
- Piece of Cake. Ryan, Thomas J. // SGB;Feb2004, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p8
Presents information on several strategies used by sporting goods companies to build a more profitable business model in the U.S. Dick's Sporting Goods; Sports Authority; Foot Locker; Finish Line; Hibbett Sporting Goods.
- Top sporting goods chains to emphasize store brands. // DSN Retailing Today;2/10/2003, Vol. 42 Issue 3, p3
Relates the intention of leading sporting goods retail stores to boost profits through the development of store brands. Participation of Dick's Sporting Goods, The Sports Authority and Gart Sports; Speculation on the program's profit growth within a span of three years; Belief by company...
- A Lifetime of Memories. Bhonslay, Marianne // SGB;Dec2007, Vol. 40 Issue 12, p22
The article takes a look at the childhood of Jim Chick, owner of Chick's Sporting Goods. Chick's father founded the store and Chick would visit every Saturday and play with the fishing rods. By the time he was 12 he was an avid outdoorsman who would hunt, fish, and do archery. In 1968, at age...
- Top 4 slip, but still hold lead in sporting goods. // Discount Store News;10/4/93, Vol. 32 Issue 19, p56
Ranks the top brands of sporting goods based on a survey of store managers in the United States for 1993. Ranking by region; Ranking by managers of Wal-Mart, Kmart and Target; Coleman; Wilson; Spalding; Zebco; Huffy; More.
- Dick's Gobbles Galyan's. Ryan, Thomas J. // SGB;Jul2004, Vol. 37 Issue 7, p12
Reports on the acquisition of Galyan's Trading Co. by Dick's Sporting Goods in June 2004. Number of stores owned by Dick's after the acquisition; Implication of the deal for the presence of Dick's in the U.S.; Value of the transaction. INSET: Kerbis Resigns From TSA.