In the Loop
- United States Book Publishing. // Book Publishing Industry Profile: United States;2002, pN.PAG
Presents a profile of the book publishing industry in the United States. Background on Datamonitor, a business information company specializing in industry analysis; Executive summary of the industry; Market overview; Market value; Market segmentation; Competitive landscape; Leading companies...
- Publishing in China. McGowan, Ian // Publishing Research Quarterly;Spring99, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p20
Discusses the structure of the publishing industry in the People's Republic of China. Number of publishing houses in China in 1979; Function of the publishing; Information on Chinese copyright legislation.
- The Studio Model: Should Publishing Follow Hollywood's Approach to the Creative Process? Lichtenberg, James // Publishing Research Quarterly;Fall99, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p46
Examines whether there are ways of organizing the creative processes in book publishing that would be effective in terms of the quality of the product. Problems that the studio model faces; Factor that determines the best approach to a market; Advantages of the use of book packagers to...
- Textbook Publishing in Kenya Under a New Policy on School Textbook Procurement. Rotich, Daniel Chebutuk // Publishing Research Quarterly;Summer2000, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p60
This article will address the implications for textbook publishing in Kenya under a new policy on textbook procurement. The new policy was launched in September 1998. The main aim of the policy was to transform a largely government run publishing system by liberalising the textbook market...
- Caribbean Book Publishers Organize. Taylor, Sally // Publishers Weekly;07/31/2000, Vol. 247 Issue 31, p17
Reports on the creation of Caribbean Publishers Network (CAPNET) by book publishers of the greater Caribbean region. What inspired CAPNET; Expectation of appointed CAPNET President Ian Randle; Parties interested in funding CAPNET.
- Book publishing in Nigeria: Problems and prospects. Nwali, L.O. // Publishing Research Quarterly;Winter91/92, Vol. 7 Issue 4, p65
Focuses on the book publishing industry in Nigeria. Problems in providing adequate numbers of high-quality books; Inadequacy of indigenous publishing in the country; Lack of professional expertise in bibliographic work and marketing; Advantages of indigenous publishing in promoting Nigerian...
- Touting a handful of bobtails deserving short odds in the book trade research sweepstakes. Abel, Richard // Publishing Research Quarterly;Fall94, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p84
Reflects on the logical anomaly of a trade group devoted to the propagation and dissemination of information and knowledge, particularly in the publishing industry. Common response from the book trade; Contradictions within the book and journal world; Exclusion of books of entertainment;...
- Bookscan: A Marketing Tool or Literary Homogenizer? Hutton, Tatiana // Publishing Research Quarterly;Spring2002, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p46
Introduces Bookscan, a sales reporting system in the book publishing industry. Book companies that agreed to implement Bookscan; Controversy on the implementation of Bookscan; Concerns on its implementation.
- The State of Affairs in Post-Communist Central and Eastern European Book Industries. Kovac, Miha // Publishing Research Quarterly;Fall2002, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p43
Challenges the assumption that the nature of the world book business has significantly changed between 1987 to 2002 by analyzing the changes in the Slovenian and Hungarian publishing cultures. Cultural similarities between the two countries; Description of the publishing infrastructure...
- SUBSCRIPTION-HUNTERS AND THEIR PREY. Lockwood, Thomas // Studies in the Literary Imagination;Spring2001, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p121
Offers advice on how to understand the practice of subscription publication. History of subscription publication; Importance of subscriber lists; Significance of subscription publication in the history of book production and readership.