The changing faces of Internet access
- Demand it. Theel, Todd; Stephens, Guy // Satellite Communications;Jun2000, Vol. 24 Issue 6, p26
Deals with the growing demand for satellite bandwidth for Internet access. Reasons for the shift of telecommunication companies from using satellite technology to Internet service provider; Concept of satellite.
- Evaluate the margins. Mohney, Doug // Satellite Broadband;Oct2000, Vol. 1 Issue 2, p68
Focuses on a satellite versus cable seminar at ISPCON 2000 in Melbourne Australia. Discussion on the involvement of artificial satellites in telecommunication; Argument posed by Internet service providers; Advantages of the Internet over the satellite system.
- Satellite growth hormone. Puetz, John // Satellite Broadband;May2001, Vol. 2 Issue 5, p40
Discusses the growth of the number of Internet service providers using satellites to deliver their services. Cost of Internet access; Comparison between the prices of Internet access using terrestrial and satellite connections; How satellite connectivity improves Internet performance.
- Capacity for ISPs. Kiernan, Vincent // Satellite Communications;Aug99, Vol. 23 Issue 8, p37
Deals with the increasing number of Internet service providers' (ISP) use of satellite links. Reasons for the attractiveness of satellite communications for some Internet applications; Statement issued by Alice Barrett Mack from Intelsat; Discussion on cable systems.
- The Internet epoch: Not just Idle bandwidth. Puetz, John // Satellite Communications;Jan2000, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p22
Reports on the increase in the Internet capacities and services of satellite companies in 1999 including those providing transport connectivity to carriers and Internet service providers (ISP). Growth in the resources dedicated to Internet protocol (IP) connectivity; Increase in the Internet...
- Deciphering the HIEROGLYPHICS of multimedia by satellite. Price, David // Satellite Communications;May99, Vol. 23 Issue 5, p34
Provides information on satellite-based Internet service. Barrier to profitable implementation of satellite-based internet service; Steps necessary for developing a profitable business model set up to provide a public broadband Internet data service.
- Asia's heavenly connections. Chan, Tony; Lynch, Grahame // Telecom Asia;Jul2000, Vol. 11 Issue 7, p58
Reports that the boom Asia's market for Internet service providers represents opportunity for satellite operators. Dealing with terrestrial competitors; Gaps in the region's Internet infrastructure; Government regulation of satellites.
- Satellite's High-Flying Expectations. Arlen, Gary // Multichannel News;3/25/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 12, p36
Comments on the viability of Internet access via satellite in the U.S. Position of internet service providers on the issue; Competition between satellite-based and fixed-wireless in terms of speed; Cost of satellite-based Internet access.
- Dollars from cache. Baugh, Christopher // Satellite Broadband;Nov2000, Vol. 1 Issue 3, p46
Reports on the benefits of satellite multicast delivery for Internet service provider applications. Typical range of the monthly cost of caching via satellite services in the United States.