A puzzling presentation of pancreatitis
- Chronic Pancreatitis. Steer, Michael L.; Waxman, Irving; Freedman, Steven // New England Journal of Medicine;6/1/95, Vol. 332 Issue 22, p1482
Focuses on several aspects of chronic pancreatitis. Differences between acute and chronic pancreatitis; Causes of chronic pancreatitis; Pathogenesis; Natural history; Chronic pancreatitis and alcohol consumption; Related laboratory tests and imaging procedures; Pancreatic-function tests; Treatment.
- ANSWER. // Gut;Sep2008, Vol. 57 Issue 9, p1287
The article provides the answer to a quiz concerning an 80-year-old woman who was admitted to the emergency department because of acute dyspnea and orthopnea.
- Treatments of pancreatitis complications were clarified. Greenberger, Norton J.; Roberts, John // Annals of Internal Medicine;08/15/98, Vol. 129 Issue 4, p315
Presents a summary of the article `The Diagnosis and Management of Fluid Collections Associated with Pancreatitis,' by T.H. Baron, D.E. Morgan, which was published in the 1997 edition of the periodical `American Journal of Medicine.'
- Evaluation of a Serologic Marker, CA19-9, in the Diagnosis of Pancreatic Cancer. Pleskow, Douglas K.; Berger, Harvey J.; Gyves, John; Allen, Elaine; McLean, Arlene; Podotsky, Daniel K. // Annals of Internal Medicine;5/1/89, Vol. 110 Issue 9, p704
Presents a study that determined the utility of the serologic marker CA19-9 in the diagnosis of pancreatic cancer in patients suspected of having a pancreatic disorder. Methodology used in the study; Discussion on the results of the study; Medical care reports.
- Diagnosis and Management of Acute Pancreatitis. Katerndahl, David A. // American Family Physician;7/1/2000, Vol. 62 Issue 1, p164
Discusses the diagnosis, risk assessment and formulation of a management plan for acute pancreatitis. Characteristic of the disease; Laboratory diagnosis; Radiologic studies.
- Differential diagnosis between chronic pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer: value of the detection of KRAS2 mutations in circulating DNA. Maire, F.; Micard, S.; Hammel, P.; Voitot, H.; Levy, P.; Cugnenc, P.-H.; Ruszniewski, P.; Puig, P. Laurent // British Journal of Cancer;8/27/2002, Vol. 87 Issue 5, p551
KRAS2 mutations in codon 12 have been detected in about 80% of pancreatic cancers. The aim of this study was to evaluate the value of KRAS2 mutations detection in circulating deoxyribo nucleic acid to differentiate pancreatic cancer from chronic pancreatitis. Circulating deoxyribo nucleic acid...
- Recurrent Pancreatitis Caused by a Calcified Ascaris in the Duct of Wirsung. Krige, J. E. J.; Lewis, G.; Bornman, P. C. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Mar1987, Vol. 82 Issue 3, p256
A case report of recurrent pancreatitis in a 20-yr-old woman due to an impacted calcified Ascaris remnant within the duct of Wirsung is presented. Endoscopic retrograde cholangiography identified a filling defect in the proximal main pancreatic duct. Transampullary endoscopic retrieval failed to...
- Rational sequence of tests for pancreatic function. Mitchell, C.J.; Elias, E.; Agnew, J.E.; Summerfield, J.; Dick, R. // British Medical Journal;11/27/1976, Vol. 2 Issue 6047, p1307
Evaluates the rational sequence of tests for pancreatic function. Application of Se-selenomethionine scan for the investigation of pancreatic disease; Diagnosis of the disease; Success of endoscopic retrograde pancreatography for the determination of the disease.
- Diagnostic Assays in Acute Pancreatitis. Steinberg, William M.; Goldstein, Stafford S.; Davis, Nancy D.; Shamma'a, John; Anderson, Kimberly // Annals of Internal Medicine;May85, Vol. 102 Issue 5, p576
Presents information on a study which examined the assays used to diagnose acute pancreatitis. Patients and methods; Results and discussion.